Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Ignition Retard Controller...

Old 08-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear
Default Ignition Retard Controller...

im adding a li'l somethin somethin to the gear-mobile and heard an electronic ignition retard controller was a valuable investment. I was wondering if anybody has used the Crane one:

http://store.summitracing.com/eprodu...5226&x=12&y=12

im looking at buying it. if you have used it...how hard was it to install? also does it work well? thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 06:08 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Ignition Retard Controller...

i have used the MSD one, but they both work by intercepting the signal from the distributor to the ignition box, thereby effecting the timing. worked great on spray. you can hook them up to a MAP sensor also, IIRC, and have it vary the retard for boost.

the MSD one i have dealt with, though, has had some issues (7 out of the 9 times he took the car out, it died, and wouldnt restart.) wound up being a issue internal to the retard unit.

installation is straight forward, all depending on the ignition system you have. the MSD is plug-n-play with the 6AL box.

and it works great (this one was a 68 Nova, 427 11:1cr, worked heads, 296 duration cam, not to mention a 1150 dominator and it was spraying a 175shot on top of that... )
Old 08-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

i dont have any aftermarket ignition components, so i dont know how much that will effect install. I will be spraying a 55 shot...and i will only need to retard the ignition when i spray...because having it retarded just to spray all the time will drive me NUTS. how many degrees should i go for a 55 shot? i have it fully advanced now, im not sure how many degrees that is :-/
Old 08-14-2004, 05:41 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

that retard setup (like most every one i have used) is designed for use with a ignintion controller....

Crane Timing Retard Controls
Control your timing.
These 50 state legal, TRC-2 Timing Retard controls from Crane are an ideal way to add zero to 20 degrees of timing retard in three modes--continuous, demand, and boost proportional--to HI-6, HI-6R, and HI-6DSR ignition systems.

i dont think i have ever seen one that works with the stock ignition.

and generally, all engines are different, but i think i was pulling 8 degrees out of it (THINK total advance was 38, but i dont remember) when spraying. all engines are different.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:51 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

spend a little extra dough and get a MSD Digital 6+

it has a two step rev limiter, high speed retard function, and is a bad ass aftermarket ignition box. ive used it before when i was setting up my old nitrous system and its a bad ass box.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Runnin13s is on a distinguished road

brad i got the MSD one in my closet im not even using it ..hit me up in a PM if ur intersted it
Old 08-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

i had the MSD digital 6plus and i loved it
Old 08-16-2004, 04:35 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

Originally Posted by gear
i dont have any aftermarket ignition components, so i dont know how much that will effect install. I will be spraying a 55 shot...and i will only need to retard the ignition when i spray...because having it retarded just to spray all the time will drive me NUTS. how many degrees should i go for a 55 shot? i have it fully advanced now, im not sure how many degrees that is :-/
with a 55 shot you dont need to retard it any. just set it back to stock timing and youll be fine. or you can get a retard box and set to about 4-5 degrees retarded. what plugs and fuel pump are you running?? injectors??

i ran a 75 shot for a long time with out any problems on my 98 ex coupe