Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Idle trouble

Old 01-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Function > Form

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default Idle trouble

I have a b16a2 with VTEC and it just recently seemed to start having idling problems. It just happened a few minutes ago and it hasn't happened before.

The motor drives fine but when I stop and the car goes to idle, it drops to ~500 rpm and feels like its going to shut off. I just had the oil changed with 5w30 (honda req.) synthetic and trans flushed with 10w30 syn.

The previous owner told me that he put 10w30 syn. in it but Honda says 5w30, so I went with them.

I dont know if changing the viscocity of the oil would cause this problem but whatever it is, I need it gone.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Idle trouble

nothing to do with the oil. Its the cold weather. Try taking off the IACV or w.e the fuck they are on the b series, where the coolant runs into the bottom of t/b and intake manifold...pull that off lean the gunk and shit out, it might be sticking...Mine was doing the same thing, I cleaned this out, and works fine now.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Do You Want More?

Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only

have you tried adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body
Old 01-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

That should be left untouched.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

I was thinking of doing a seafoam treatment here soon. Theres ~60,000 mi on the motor so I figured that and some new plugs/wires and it would run good as new.

Also, should i do timing belt soon?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Function > Form

Originally Posted by DecentCivicZ6
nothing to do with the oil. Its the cold weather. Try taking off the IACV or w.e the fuck they are on the b series, where the coolant runs into the bottom of t/b and intake manifold...pull that off lean the gunk and shit out, it might be sticking...Mine was doing the same thing, I cleaned this out, and works fine now.
I will give this a try
Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

DCvtec has disabled reputation

If the problem just started and you dont have any MIL codes then make sure you dont have a vacuum leak. That a huge cause of that. Also if you have proper vacuum than take some carb choke cleaner and clean out the TB with a tooth brush, fill the IACV passage that is in front of the TB butterfly. Let that sit for about 5 minutes. When you try to restart the car it will be a bit rough but just give it some gas and it will clear itself out.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Function > Form

I have baught the supplies and I will do this when my car cools off. However, when I was looking through my tools to make sure I had the right sockets, I noticed that the bolt on the dirver side of the IACV is not there.

1. Could this be causing problem? (im doing the service anyways, just curious)

2. What size is the bolt and where do I find one?

Thanks a lot
Old 01-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Function > Form

I cleaned out my IACV following these instructions and I also cleaned out my throttle body with some STP Throttle Body and Air Intake Cleaner. I used a toothbrush and a towel for the throttle body. Now the car has the follow issues:

1. A check engine light.

2. A bouncing idle that remains the same after the engine is warm (1450-1550)

3. Intermittent throttle lag (misfiring???!?!?)

I started the car and immediately noticed the check engine light and the high idle and how unstable it was. I let let the car warm up because I figured it would run a little rough after the throttle body cleaning. After a few minutes I took it about 50 feet up the street real gentle-like and I noticed the throttle lag as soon as I applied it. I didn't know what to do so I parked it again and let it run for a minute more thinking it might still be cleaning itself out but the problems remained. I turned the car off, tightened the top (and only bolt) and started it again. Everythings the same.

The only things I can think of that may have caused this is:

1. I may have gotten too much Cleaner in the intake manifold

2. Theres a vacuum leak I created somewhere. (the O-ring in the IACV?)

3. God hates me?

I really need help on this because I have classes on Monday and I commute to school. I am also very broke.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 05:39 AM
Function > Form

Someone please help! I'm soo boned...

Quick Reply: Idle trouble