Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

I need someone to verify this.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Ohhh Snap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez
Default I need someone to verify this.

Today i was driving and my oil pressure came on again(the sensor is bad cause its done it on all my last motors from time to time) then shortly after i came to a stop and the car cut off and would not come back on, but rotates freely.

The motor is fresh as hell with everything new in the bottom end,and it was running perfect before this.

I then did some research and heard that when the oil light comes on the cars computer cuts fuel to reduce the chance of motor failure.Is this correct??

Ive changed the distributor,spark plugs,and wires but still nothing.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: I need someone to verify this.

You need to fix what would cause the oil light to come on, not what the oil light coming on would do. Above all get a mechanical gauge in there before you continue to drive it and get some numbers, not just a dummy light. Bearings can walk, shit can go wrong even if it and more likely on a fresh motor.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

snarfberries has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by RandomTask
You need to fix what would cause the oil light to come on, not what the oil light coming on would do. Above all get a mechanical gauge in there before you continue to drive it and get some numbers, not just a dummy light. Bearings can walk, shit can go wrong even if it and more likely on a fresh motor.
thats absolutely right. watch a kid i know buy a motor from his friend. then had a local shop rebuild it. he took it back because of head noise and no power. they fixed it. Not even 50 miles later the motor was knocking like trick or treaters.

If it was me I would replace the oil pump. Also don't forget to pack the pick up w/ vasoline. This creates suction and makes sure the oil is picked up after words. As well will not hurt the motor.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:27 AM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

I just said i know the oil pressure sensor is bad,its come on/off on the past 3/4 motors ive had in the car. I just havent had the desire to change it out.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Well i'm making this suggestion, get a mechanical gauge on there, especially with the new bottom end. Oil pressure is a need to know. But to answer your other question; no. With what I'm familiar with (a lot of GM) the oil pressure light does not interact with the ECM. Why would it? Low oil pressure for over a couple of seconds destroys no matter what the tune is. However, a CEL can and usually will cause your ECM to go into a limp mode. It pulls timing and starts running rich. I'm uncertain if a low oil pressure light for an extended period of time can trip the CEL.

With this being said, and oil pressure sensor/switch is around $20. Quit being lazy.

Last edited by RandomTask; 04-03-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 PM
FML.

brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost

Type of car maybe?