Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

I heard that the Lincoln Mark viii and the Mustang GT had the same engine??

Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Luxury = Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty
Question I heard that the Lincoln Mark viii and the Mustang GT had the same engine??

Hello fellows,
My neighbor has a 98 Lincoln mark viii and he is loosing compression. THe car is runnign like crap and the shop says he needs a 7k rebuild.

He says F*ck that.

I'm considering buying the car as my DD but I don't know squat about fords.

I heard that the engines in his car were the same as in the GT but I dont know which years/ models yadda yadda..

Anyone here know which year/model GT engine will fit in this mark viii?

Oh and do you know anyone willing to put it in?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:14 PM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington
Default Re: I heard that the Lincoln Mark viii and the Mustang GT had the same engine??

I'm not quite sure, so I don't know if this will help, but I tihnk it's more similar to the Cobra engine, not the GT. Isn't the Mark VII DOHC?
Cobra is DOHC
GT is SOHC
Old 07-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Body In Trunk.

RCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I heard that the Lincoln Mark viii and the Mustang GT had the same engine??

the mark VIII has the 32v 4.6,that is the cobra engine not the gt one. i believe the only major differences are the intake manifold and the tune on the thing. ive seen people make seriously fast fun cars with this setup. few bolt ons, some tuning, lil work on the trans and hold on!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty

Per Wiki...

97-98 mark viii models
The DOHC 32-valve 4.6L V8, rated at 280 hp, came with a distributorless coil-on-plug ignition system, eliminating the use of high voltage spark plug wires.

I guess this answeres my question...

and another

SO i need a cobra motor...so what years then?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Luxury = Love

Originally Posted by RCR Roscoe
the mark VIII has the 32v 4.6,that is the cobra engine not the gt one.
WHat year cobras?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

'96-'98

But why buy a new one? Why not build the one already in the car?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Luxury = Love

hmmm not a bad idea. i'm not 100% sure of the extent of the damage to the engine.
I'll have to find out just how bad it is and report back
Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Body In Trunk.

RCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond repute

alotta those cars suffer head gasket failure due to lack of maintenance induced overheating. you may get away with replacing the head gaskets and dooin any necessary machine work to the heads if they are warped any. OR if its got spaceship miles on it as many of those cars do and its just worn the fuck out, watch the junkyards for a wrecked on to swipe the motor from.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:55 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

If i remember..The lincoln had different cams