Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

how can this be (tire balancing)

Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default how can this be (tire balancing)

So I got new tires today. I watched the guy balance them on the Hunter machine, apply the weights, and then double check them. I saw him do this for every wheel. He put the ones that needed the least correction on the front. Somehow, I now have a steering wheel shimmy at 55-65mph and imbalance on the rear wheels is perceptible in the 80-85mph range. How can they be imbalanced when I watched him balance them?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 PM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada
Default Re: how can this be (tire balancing)

its possible that the weights didnt stick to the wheels and they just fell off. it happened to my dad 3 times with the same set of wheels. the guys werent cleaning the wheel properly so the weights werent sticking.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

No, I checked that, weights are all on there (they're the Wurth 2 piece weights anyways, don't really come off unintentionally.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Their calibration is fucked?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Their calibration is fucked?
Is that a thing that happens? What a royal pain. Won't be able to go back at any time this upcoming week, will have to wait until the week after. Son of a...
Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

I dont know, but its always a possibility, Fabrik8/anyone else in enginerring or car shops would know more than I. Or maybe the work is showing weaknesses in the rest of the car?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:00 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

depending on the machine, its possible the incorrect wheel measurements were put in. I know ive seen tires get balanced on the previous wheels size, like they forget to put in the new measurements.

Also yes, a balancing machines calibration can be off and isnt very common but not out of the norm either.

edit: what kind of vehicle/tire size?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by ShawnD
I dont know, but its always a possibility, Fabrik8/anyone else in enginerring or car shops would know more than I. Or maybe the work is showing weaknesses in the rest of the car?
That's another thing I'm thinking about - I did go from a 50 series profile to a 45 series profile, so maybe it's exacerbating some other issue, but then it was done at an MB shop and the tech didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Plus, it was perfectly smooth before.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by Spindrift
depending on the machine, its possible the incorrect wheel measurements were put in. I know ive seen tires get balanced on the previous wheels size, like they forget to put in the new measurements.

Also yes, a balancing machines calibration can be off and isnt very common but not out of the norm either.

edit: what kind of vehicle/tire size?
Vehicle is a 1985 MB 380SE (well, that's what the suspension and chassis are from anyways, most things related to making the car move are something else). Wheels are 16x8 ET 11 wearing 245/45-16. I did notice for some reason the size the machine showed was 16" diameter and 8.2" width, not sure why the 0.2" extra.

You have a shop in Norfolk? I work downtown, but the shop I used was in Yorktown (live in Williamsburg) which is why I can't get to it during the week. Would you charge me to put one of the wheels on your balancer (I figure that would reveal a calibration issue) if I jack up the car and take the wheel off myself (or just bring a wheel in loose)?

Last edited by marlinspike; 07-25-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Id have them double check the balance, and verify yourself the measurements are correct. If it was perfectly smooth before, going down in tire size wont make that dramatic of a difference.

Quick Reply: how can this be (tire balancing)