Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Honda SOLID CEL no start...

Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Go Team Marlboro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo
Default Honda SOLID CEL no start...

Ok, I've seen this before many times but it was when the ecu was toast or someone F'd up a chip install and either cold soldered or whatever.....

I've tried two diff ecu's and get the same result, I'm 99% positive the ecu's are ok, but I'm going to verify it on another car tonite.

Anyway, when you turn the key on, the main relay clicks the pump on and the CEL comes on, the pump primes 2 seconds and then clicks off, but the CEL never cuts off, it stays constant.

Normally if its an actual code the light will come on, go off for a second or two, then come back on, this one doesn't do that, just stays solid....

I can jump the diag connector and pull codes....they're nothing complicated, just an IAT(its not plugged up at the moment). Pull the jumper out and the light is back on solid.

Anyone ever experience this and it NOT be a bad ecu?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Honda SOLID CEL no start...

The ECU is making the fuel pump relay turn on and off, and you've tried two different ECUs. Therefore I don't think the problem is with the ECUs.

There's more to this story, I can feel it.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Grandmasterlarr has disabled reputation

What happend when you try to start? (tun the key)
Old 09-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

It won't start.

Heres the scoop, bought it from a kid on here, it was running driving(so he says) with the stock drivetrain. He pulls that motor out, and puts in a 97 ex (y8). That I can tell even though he has horrible connections all the wires are going to the right spots. I just tried unplugging everything on the entire harness and turning the key on and still get the same thing.

I've done AT LEAST 200 honda swaps(we had a shop back in the day...) and I've never encountered this queer problem.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

So nothing happens when you turn the key? no click just nothing? did the car run before?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Start from scratch, do the swap wiring from step one. I wouldn't even bother troubleshooting anything without knowing exactly where you stand first.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Go Team Marlboro

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Start from scratch, do the swap wiring from step one. I wouldn't even bother troubleshooting anything without knowing exactly where you stand first.
Tis what I did earlier, I unplugged everything and plugged it in myself. The only difference between the two engines really is the distributor. I tried unplugging it and it doesn't make it do anything better. I guess he somehow F'd up the harness is all I can imagine....
Old 09-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Check yor grounds before you start taring shit up... i had the same problem i drove my car on the trailer and when i took it off the car wouldnt start turned the key fule pump came on car wouldnt start... take off all your grounds brush them off and tighten them back down make sure the motor is grounded.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Go Team Marlboro

Ran a wire from the battery negative to the thermostat ground, no change.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

Quick Reply: Honda SOLID CEL no start...