Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Honda Help Please!!!!!

Old 10-02-2004, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sohcvtec has disabled reputation
Exclamation Honda Help Please!!!!!

Okay guys i have a d16y8 in my 88' CRX. i just put on my new bbk style sheetmetal intake manifold. huge plenum....new fuel rail. i have stock injectors and a throttle body that matches the bore size of the manifold. i also have a AEM cold air intake system installed.

First when i went to start my car up i realized that i had forgotten to conect my iac and another harness (dont know what it was for). it idled between 1200-2400 like my iac was bad but reved up and down really fast. so i connected them and figured that was the problem.

When i started the car up again it instantly reved to 4500 rpms and idled there. i adjusted the throttle cable and checked for vaccum hoses that i may have forgotten to hook up but had only left my breather off. can anybody think of anything that could be causing this to happen.

i never had a problem with this car and it ran like a beast so im just trying to figure out where i went wrong. i appreciate all the tech. support that i get. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Honda Help Please!!!!!

Make sure you fill the coolant back up and pull your ecu fuse and back up fuse to clear the ecu. You started the car with all the sensors un-hooked so the computer thinks it's still un-hooked. If there isn't enough coolant in your system the t-stat won't open up at the right temp and idle your car down.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by thebettersol
Make sure you fill the coolant back up and pull your ecu fuse and back up fuse to clear the ecu. You started the car with all the sensors un-hooked so the computer thinks it's still un-hooked. If there isn't enough coolant in your system the t-stat won't open up at the right temp and idle your car down.

thanks but would it cause it to idle at 4500 rpms? thats a little too high!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:35 AM

i think i found out whats wrong with my setup..... i have the wrong iac. the 2 holes dont match up. i did pull my fuses and it worked until i did it again with the iac hooked up and it went south again. by the way i also just pulled my tps off and it now idles at 3000 rpms. do you know anybody who has a d16y8 iac?
Old 10-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Type-R; Tight Car

Originally Posted by sohcvtec
i think i found out whats wrong with my setup..... i have the wrong iac. the 2 holes dont match up. i did pull my fuses and it worked until i did it again with the iac hooked up and it went south again. by the way i also just pulled my tps off and it now idles at 3000 rpms. do you know anybody who has a d16y8 iac?
As far as i know they are all the same. The only one I've ever seen different is the obd 0 jdm manifolds, they have a different style IAC. You should be able to use the one off the old manifold.

Ok let me ask you this, are the holes on the iac to far apart or too close to bolt up to the intake manifold?
Old 10-03-2004, 10:54 AM

As far as i know they are all the same. The only one I've ever seen different is the obd 0 jdm manifolds, they have a different style IAC. You should be able to use the one off the old manifold.

Ok let me ask you this, are the holes on the iac to far apart or too close to bolt up to the intake manifold?

too far apart..
Old 10-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

check your pm's
Old 10-04-2004, 06:08 AM

StpH8n is an unknown quantity at this point

I definently wouldnt have removed that tps. Now you are going to have to re-set it to the correct voltage. You may also need to check your fast idle valve and tighten it down. Alot of times the plunger will work its way up thereby causing a vacuum leak. Not sure where they are located on the d series but it will be connected to your IAC via one of the coolant hoses. After you located the housing remove it and there will be a plunger looking thing and a ring around the plunger with a notch in it, take a flat head screw driver to that notch and tighten it down.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

Originally Posted by StpH8n
I definently wouldnt have removed that tps. Now you are going to have to re-set it to the correct voltage. You may also need to check your fast idle valve and tighten it down. Alot of times the plunger will work its way up thereby causing a vacuum leak. Not sure where they are located on the d series but it will be connected to your IAC via one of the coolant hoses. After you located the housing remove it and there will be a plunger looking thing and a ring around the plunger with a notch in it, take a flat head screw driver to that notch and tighten it down.
He never said anything about touching his tps, and his iac valve doesnt bolt up. There is his vacuum leak.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:33 PM

He never said anything about touching his tps, and his iac valve doesnt bolt up. There is his vacuum leak.
well, where is my "fast idle valve" anyways? i did temporaly disconnect my tps but it only dropped the idle for a few sec.s so it is back on now.

Quick Reply: Honda Help Please!!!!!