Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Hey Toyota people

Old 03-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Master Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juicedtoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey Toyota people

Got a question. I got a 85 toyota pickup with a 22r. I believe it is the canada and federal emission controls. My problem is that I have to remove the inner fenders and there is all sorts of vacuum lines for the Emission Control System. Is there any way that I can just plug these hoses off? I also was wondering if it would affect it if I lost the 2 charcoal canisters and the resonater that goes to the air cleaner. Your feedback will be helpful. Thanx.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:02 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous
Default Re: Hey Toyota people

Originally posted by Juicedtoy
Got a question. I got a 85 toyota pickup with a 22r. I believe it is the canada and federal emission controls. My problem is that I have to remove the inner fenders and there is all sorts of vacuum lines for the Emission Control System. Is there any way that I can just plug these hoses off? I also was wondering if it would affect it if I lost the 2 charcoal canisters and the resonater that goes to the air cleaner. Your feedback will be helpful. Thanx.
You don't need the charcoal canisters, they're just part of the emissions "package". Get a sheet of tin and remove all the emissions equipment. Then, draw a pattern of the mounting face of them on the tin. Then, snip out the drawings, apply gasket sealant, install the homemade blockoff and bolt it down. Just cap off all the vacuum lines at the source when you're done and put the appropriate resistors in any open plugs to prevent any CEL's.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:13 PM
mD5
back in ther vvti

mD5 is an unknown quantity at this point

ohh more power? someone help me with this.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:56 AM
Master Member

Juicedtoy is an unknown quantity at this point

The charcoal canisters just bolt to the fender and they have 2 lines going to them. So couldn't I just cap the lines off? I might sound stupid here but what are CEL's?
Old 03-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by Juicedtoy
The charcoal canisters just bolt to the fender and they have 2 lines going to them. So couldn't I just cap the lines off? I might sound stupid here but what are CEL's?
CEL = check engine light
Don't cap off the line to the canister, that'll back your system up. You should just be able to leave it disconnected. You'll have a gas smell in the engine bay though. The charcoal canister gets rid of that.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:49 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

Actually, the charcoal canisters play integral role of venting the gas tank properly. yeah, the gas smell sucks and one can live with that, but wait till you start having problems (hello vapor-lock!!!). you could do the Weber 32/36 DGEV conversion, but you still should use the charcoal canisters. the 32/36 is a pretty decent upgrade for the 22R (a 38/38 DGES is even better but has no gas mileage!), but more gains would be made by adding a slightly more aggressive camshaft along with it. the manifold adaptors are available for that truck/engine. a Thorley header doesn't make one lose HP either...
Old 03-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Former 757'er

Unless charcoal canisters are different for every make, then it should be fine. I know rotary guys remove them all the time.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:25 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

sorry, no offense, but rotary and 22R are NOT the same thing.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:35 PM
INNOVATIVE AUTO INC.

Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg

hey juiced toy. pm me. i have a 87 pickup with a 22rte in it 15psi and front mount. the truck started out carb. pm me maybe i can help ya out!
Old 03-25-2003, 01:43 AM
Former 757'er

Originally posted by ToyotaTechGeek
sorry, no offense, but rotary and 22R are NOT the same thing.
Some things I figured were just universal. Why can it not be taken off of a piston motor?

Quick Reply: Hey Toyota people