Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

HELP: problem with MR2 turbo

Old 12-30-2002, 04:26 PM
Hot Seduction: Vol 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1badITR can only hope to improve
Default HELP: problem with MR2 turbo

PLEASE HELP,

I'm having problems with the transmission in my MR2 turbo. My tranny can only shift into 1st and 2nd gear. When I shift into 3rd, 4th, or 5th the gear stays in 2nd. I'm thinking one of the linkage cable's is loose, What else could it possibly be? Also what is the tranny code, is it an S54 or an E153?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2002, 09:00 PM
Heretic & RSX driver

EvaUnit01 is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds to me like the cable may be loose, my friend has a cavalier and he lost 3rd and it was a cable so check that. The tranny code I dont know, go to the MR2 forums, they have a lot of experts there.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:25 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

check everything: cables, shifter itself, clutch hydraulics, and what is the condition of the clutch?
the geek
Old 12-30-2002, 11:20 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

Yeah, sounds like cables. Where are you located? I could take a look at it if you wanted... As far as the code goes: what year is your 2?
Old 12-31-2002, 09:15 PM
Heretic & RSX driver

EvaUnit01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm guessing his is a 91, 91's are very common from the other years.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:21 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

Now that I think about it, I think that the code for the turbo tranny is allways E153. The LSD ones have another number or someting... The S54 is the NA tranny. From the problem your describing it sounds like your left cable broke. It tends to be a common problem with the 91-92 NA trannys, not as common with the turbos. Its easy to fix, I have some shifter cables I'll sell you pretty cheap too. Id recomend some Hux Racing shifter bushings too...
Old 01-01-2003, 03:29 PM

Thankyou everyone for your help, I found the problem. The shift cable that directly hooks up to the shifter ripped in half. I already ordered a new one on Tuesday for $209.00 (not cheap).

Mr.2

It's a 91 and I would appreciate it if you could look at it, i'm not too familiar with Toyota's. Also, do you have any spare parts for sale? If you have any parts I might need, I would be happy to buy them from you. Here is my e-mail address, Canamanb@hotmail.com, if you could send me your phone number so I can call you to ask you some questions. I appreciate your help.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:48 PM
LTDTEAM.COM

Rockybling can only hope to improve
Default damn

too late, the same thing happened to my last mr2 turbo. the damn thing broke and except it got stock in 4th gear. you ever have to move your car out of the street startin in 4th gear. SHIT SUCKED!!! well, too late! when are us mr2's gonna meet up somewhere?
Old 01-02-2003, 04:47 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

there's a big Mid-Atlantic MR2 Owner's Club meet coming-up in a few days. but, it's a travel up there kinda thing.
the geek
Old 01-02-2003, 05:39 PM

Rockybling

I will have my car up and running by Friday. Maybe all the MR2's could meet up on Saturday if you guys wanted too. If we don't meet up Saturday just shoot me an e-mail at Canamanb@hotmail.com and we could figure out a day to get together. Sorry to hear that the same problem happened to your car.

Peace

Quick Reply: HELP: problem with MR2 turbo