Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

heavy 2nd gear grind question

Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Form > Function

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dohcZCcrx has disabled reputation
Default heavy 2nd gear grind question

hey guys, this may be a dumb question but i just want some extra opinions. ive got a 90 honda crx. it has a dohc zc in it with either a zc or si tranny. ive got a really heavy 2nd gear grind and im not completely sure why. i know theres a possibility it could be my tranny and my 2nd gear could just be internally fucked up. but, when i was replacing my clutch, one of my buddies said it could be because i appearantly have a bolt(probrably a bigass bolt) holding my shift linkage together instead of a pin(cotter pin maybe?) any input? any comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: heavy 2nd gear grind question

If the linkage is loose it can cause shifting problems. It's also likely that you have a trashed synchro if it's grinding when you shift into second gear instead of grinding constantly when second gear is already engaged. Synchros only grind while they're trying to engage, etc...
Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Form > Function

okay, thanks. yeah it had the light 2nd grind when i bought it and it gradually go worse. imma check the linkage when i get home and see if i can see any issues visually. if not, ill just go pick up this si tranny for 50 bucks.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

TRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these parts

Your friend is right, you need the correct shift linkage pin, along with the C clip that goes around the linkage to be properly secured.

Go here http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=SHIFT+LEVER

Numbers 29 & 10. Cheap fix the right way. I'd suggest ordering one or two extra of each just in case.

It probably is what caused the grind to get worse over time.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Form > Function

thanks man. that was a huge help. im gonna order it through my job, since i work at a dealership, and get that stuff brought over to me for even cheaper.