Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

header & cat

Old 06-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Boost Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bOOsTiNb18b has disabled reputation
Default header & cat

Today i jus put a 4-1 header and a resonator type high flow cat on my car. Unfortunately it did not fit properly and there is a leak between the cat and header. The car is sooo LOUD now...sounds like a damn wrx with loud ass pipes. Is this cause of the leak or this is jus how it is when you put a header and cat? I put the silencer in the n1 and it wasnt as loud but its still loud. Should i get like a dynomax muffler or something to quiet it? Can meineke weld the cat and header together? How much do you think it would be? Thanks..
Old 06-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Boosted F2B

99EJ6T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: header & cat

meineke will charge you @$70-80 to weld the cat and header into alignment, just got mine done in the same area, and it may not be just a leak, most likely a larger separation between the header and cat when the motor shifts under exceleration (sp?). reason it gets some what quieter because of when the motor shifts back and closes the gap, or i could be wrong. also what kind of n1 muffler? apex n1 are really loud without a pre-muffler.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Boost Freak

bOOsTiNb18b has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ps90lsturbo
meineke will charge you @$70-80 to weld the cat and header into alignment, just got mine done in the same area, and it may not be just a leak, most likely a larger separation between the header and cat when the motor shifts under exceleration (sp?). reason it gets some what quieter because of when the motor shifts back and closes the gap, or i could be wrong. also what kind of n1 muffler? apex n1 are really loud without a pre-muffler.
ahh they better not charge me that much! it is a leak...the holes on the cat dont line up with the holes on the header so the bolts are crooked. i jus hope the leak is whats causing the LOUDNESS. by the way its a apexi n1
Old 06-25-2004, 05:14 AM
Boosted F2B

99EJ6T is an unknown quantity at this point

well i got a little more work than just a simple weld, needed part of a pipe welded into the exhaust pipe, apex n1 are loud. if the change in your change pocket is rattling you got more than a leak, if not the noise is the n1.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:43 AM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

i have a apex ws with the resonator cat and the diffence in sound is very noticable than with a stock cat, especially when vtec kicks in. did your cat come with a new header to cat aluminum gasket thingy or did you just use the old one. i got a new one and made sure that i connected it tight and got a good seal. theres no leaks that i know of but it is louder especially at wot.

another thing you can try is have a friend rev the engine while you listen near the cat and again at the ehaust tip. if the sound is comming from the tip then you have your answer. gl.

Last edited by CRXDriver; 06-25-2004 at 07:59 AM.