Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

h22a problems......

Old 08-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audiophile24 has disabled reputation
Default h22a problems......

i just aquired a 97 prelude i geuss you could say it is a 5th gen. there are several things wrong and i have bee trying to correct them. firstly vtec would not fire at all so......i have changed the distributor....the wires ..the plugs....the tps(and calibrated it)....stil no vtec sooooo i then installed my emanage unit in the car to control vtec...while installing the e manage(vr-4ever can vouch as can gene from T.E.) the car has an obd2 to obd1 jumper harness in it and is running off of a p28 yes i said it a p28 is running the lude the same ecu i had running the boosted hatch i had.......the throttle response is crappy the car bogs and it sounds as if it is detonating when put under load. (you know the sound two rocks in a can etc.) would changing to an obd1 prelude ecu solve this problem or would it be of no help? also would that be the source of my problems as far as it being soooooooo slow until vtec kicks in at 5000 i thought vtec kicked in when the throttle was at 100 percent no matter what rpm range it was in?????????

Last edited by audiophile24; 08-07-2006 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added words
Old 08-07-2006, 04:44 AM
Registered Member

teamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: h22a problems......

On those motors VTEC is set factory around 5200 full throttle engagement. Sounds to me like your timing is WAY off!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Banned

92slwhatch is an unknown quantity at this point

mine bogs out before vtec too if u find out why let me no
Old 08-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless the P28 has been tuned for the H22 it will not run corectly. The map on a B series or D series is difrent than the map for the H-series. You are able to alter the map though to make it corect if you chip it and tune it. Same way your D series was tuned.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

okay so i should be able to tune for the difference in my emanage? how much would you charge me for tuning once again ross? i was the guy with the boosted single cam(pink engine bay)(two tone green)
Old 08-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

teamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond repute

Like PrecisionAuto said, the timing maps especially are way off. According to SOHC_MShue, the H has a completey different timing hunger than the B/D motors.

But yea, get her properly tuned and it should feel WAY better. I had the same issue when my timing belt was chewing itself apart, haha!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

so i had somebody tell me to do the manual tensioner swap and that would make a difference???????? what is this swap and how would i do i do this?
Old 08-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

It only makes a difference if A. You're afraid of the shitty auto tensioners failing, which they will and B. If you're cam/crank timing is off and upon doing this, you correctly set the timing marks.

Here's the link for the manual tensioner swap FAQ.
http://www.hondasociety.com/board/sh...d.php?t=101825
Old 08-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

does the balacer belt have anything to do with a lack of power?.....im kinda new to h22 engines and all.....mainly being a b or d series man
Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

No, the balance belt mainly serves to reduce engine vibration.

Quick Reply: h22a problems......