Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.
View Poll Results: H-series or B-series?
H-series engine
22.22%
B-series engine
77.78%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

H-series or B-series??

Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx
Default Re: H-series or B-series??

Originally Posted by The real Ryan
I spent like an hour reading threads like this http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2168311 and learned more than this guy knows.

Search around and do your homework. Over my years in the honda world, I have learned there is lots of B-series knowledge out there, but not nearly as much H-series. Take a look at peoples charts and setups to see what is obtainable for what you want to do.
um, take a trip over to preludepower.com and learn a few things about the h motor.

boost > all motor in the H series world. Especially the H22.

you still havent answered me what you define as basic upgrades.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bbsIx
um, take a trip over to preludepower.com and learn a few things about the h motor.

boost > all motor in the H series world. Especially the H22.

you still havent answered me what you define as basic upgrades.

LOL boost is better than n/a in terms of power in every world. However, money becomes a factor at some point. Like I said, I would rather build an H for n/a over a B. And boost a B over an H because of the aftermarket for the B. And any displacment that lacked in the B can be made up with more boost. Once you are building the two motors for boost, anything the H can offer you can obtian from a B (stroker kits, ect). There is a reason more people build and boost B motors over H motors. It's smarter in terms of availability and cost for one example. Weight and lubrication issues are another.

And basic mods for an n/a setup are a quality brand I/H/E, a good set of Cams, and someone that knows what they are doing with an EMS. Do the same mods to a b series and have a look at your hp/tq numbers.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:52 PM
NormalBlackGuy

Alamarmoore is a jewel in the roughAlamarmoore is a jewel in the roughAlamarmoore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Define "better"...
which one you think is more reliable and strong in the end
Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

Originally Posted by SH-IZZLE
It depends on your needs. For boost the H is not the best platform. All motor it can become a great motor but the aftermarket support for the B is worlds more than the H. But I still say a H series just because out of the box besides a b18c5 the H will pull so much better.
YOU must be queer.

I know of 2 people in my cell phone that live in the same neighborhood, that have fully built and boosted H22's/H23's.... They have 350+ HP a piece, and are fucking beast. Very VERY reliable and i've never seen either one of their cars smoke, blow up, break down, shit...

its all in the build/tune. its not the motor.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Bearded.

230 with basic upgrades? define basic upgrades. because with bolt ons and a tune you wont ever see 200.

factory rods giving out? give me some links because i haven't read anything of the sort on any prelude forum.

the stock motor can handle boost fine, its all about the tuning. all motor a H is pretty useless unless you have alot of money to dump into it. after its all said and done, you could of had more hp for less with a turbo set up.
I had a JDM H22a in a BB2 Si. Had the following mods:
-LSD
-clutch
-flywheel
-axles
-Skunk2 IM
-Edlebrock TB
-hondata IM gasket
-TYPE S cams
-head was shaved .050
-port and polish with 5 angle valve job
-stock block, and head (minus the cams/port-N-polish/shave)
-AEM intake
-full exhaust
-with stock motor mounts
-FREAK ass tune (shad)

btw: this was close to 3-4 years ago.

I put down 219HP to the wheels in the middle of summer! dont tell me you cant get 200hp with bolt ons.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
do a da cha cha

SH-IZZLE is an unknown quantity at this point

Fully built. Not stock. Plus never did I say it cant be done, but to have it reliable it should either be sleeved or try your luck with mahle. I know what built h22's can do for boost and I will never argue with you on that. But for stock I say a ls or b20 would be better for boost. I guess I should of worded it better. And as for all motor have you seen what king motorsports has done. Hell 98vtec on honda-tech has a h23 vtec with a stock head making like 219 whp. For just a bottom end with higher c/r pistons I wouldnt call that bad.So yes I am saying the H built right can make great all motor power. Its no K series but for the money it holds it own.

Last edited by SH-IZZLE; 03-04-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Eh

NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay

220ish on internally stock h2b... search it on hondatech.. has been 11.9 in the 1/4 in an eg hatch
Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Bearded.

Originally Posted by CustomX
220ish on internally stock h2b... search it on hondatech.. has been 11.9 in the 1/4 in an eg hatch
there is one in NN as well.

orange EG hatch!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by SH-IZZLE
Its no K series but for the money it holds it own.
Again, if you could make a H series rev like a K series, the power would be there. H series don't have the volumetric efficiency of the K series, but RPM goes a long way.. Limit a B- or K- to the same RPM range as a H-, and then compare the torque curves (and by association, HP). The difference probably won't be very much.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
do a da cha cha

SH-IZZLE is an unknown quantity at this point

230 with basic upgrades? define basic upgrades. because with bolt ons and a tune you wont ever see 200.

factory rods giving out? give me some links because i haven't read anything of the sort on any prelude forum.

the stock motor can handle boost fine, its all about the tuning. all motor a H is pretty useless unless you have alot of money to dump into it. after its all said and done, you could of had more hp for less with a turbo set up.
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2308216
So here's the rundown:
stock jdm h22a
skunk 68mm tb
rc 550 saturated injectors
3.5" custom cai
tuned on 93 pump gas w/ hondata s300

Dyno results: 216WHP 166WTQ
Not too bad for a throttle body injectors and a tune.
Would that fall under basic mods

Quick Reply: H-series or B-series??