Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

gsr acting weird

Old 12-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Reppin The DOHC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies
Default gsr acting weird

So my gsr trans took a crap on me the other week, and i happened to have a spare b16 tranny in my garage. I replaced transmission and took it for a test drive. Dropped the car to 3rd. and did a pull, went to switch into 4th. and the car caught 2nd. at about 80 mph. Immediantly the car had a completely different exhaust tone. I pulled over and it sounded like the car was almost camming and the motor is shaking real bad at idle. Only when it idles does it have a miss and the motor shakes, but the car still drives fine and still pulls hard. Im thinking I maybe shocked the motor and maybe knocked it out of timing any suggestions|?

Also put new spark plugs and wires in and changed the oil right after it happened there was no metal in the oil, but the oil is really thin and soupy but still has dark color and i havent lost any antifreeze. Anyone have suggestions for that problem too would be greatly appricated.

Last edited by turbofordummies; 12-21-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation
Default Re: gsr acting weird

My guess is you bent a valve. Do a compression test. If it does have a bent valve try not to drive it before it gets fixed. The valve head my break off causing excessive damage to the engine.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Reppin The DOHC

turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies

Originally Posted by QUICKVIII
My guess is you bent a valve. Do a compression test. If it does have a bent valve try not to drive it before it gets fixed. The valve head my break off causing excessive damage to the engine.

but if i had a bent valve would the motor still pull hard? I dont hear any knocking or ticking
Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

It is just (as we call it) tipped. It will bleed off compression at low RPM but engine RPM hide the problem up top. Since it is just tipped it bleeds pressure off slowly. DO THE COMPRESSION TEST. If you have access to a cyl leak down tester, thats even better. A vacume guage attached to the intake is a way to check if it is intake valves that are bent. I can go on, but there is no reason. Just check compression and get back to us.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Reppin The DOHC

ill do that, thanks for the help, wat kind of numbers should i be looking for?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Compressions depend on modifications, but 200 psi up. The thing to look for is the difference between the highest cyl and the lowest cyl. If I'm right though, you will have a big difference. Also make sure you disable the ignition system and also hold the throttle open when you do the test.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Reppin The DOHC

ight ill get it done and let u know appriecate the help man