Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Grinding 5th gear...no clutch..no grind?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
madmortar has disabled reputation
Default Grinding 5th gear...no clutch..no grind?

Alright my tranny is acting alittle funny.

First thing is that I can not put my car in 1st gear without me being completely stopped. I even have to brake kinda hard so my car rolls back and then I can put it in smooth. If I just come to a soft stop I have to double clutch and then shift from 2nd into 1st so it wont grind. Like I said I almost always stop kinda hard and let it roll back and then it goes into 1st like butter. This is not really a problem but It might help you understand whats going on after I explain what is really bothering me.

My fifth gear grinds. I dont understand it. Its not like you go around slamming 5th gear...

If I pump the clutch like 6 times and then shift fast into fifth it doesnt grind. I really wouldnt care if I just had to double clutch but like I said...I have to pump it like 6-7 times (fast as hell too or it wont work) just to get it not to grind.

Here is the catch. If im in 4th pop it out and slid it into 5th gear when the RPMs fall down around 2500 WITHOUT the use of the clutch it goes in without a sound.

Im so lost....I use the clutch and it grinds...but when i just put it in without the use of the clutch its as smooth as a babies bottom...

Any clues??

Thanks guys..
Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM

tatmonster has disabled reputation
Default Re: Grinding 5th gear...no clutch..no grind?

what kinda car?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

Originally Posted by tatmonster
what kinda car?
looks like the million dollar question right now
Old 06-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Sounds like some munched synchros...
Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

ethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Sounds like some munched synchros...

+1000
Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I thought synchros at first but....if it was then why would it go in without a grind when I shift from 4th to 5th without the use of the clutch?

GSR tranny btw
Old 06-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Why are you trying to shift a synchro'd tranny without the clutch? Are you changing engine RPM during the (clutchless) shifts?

Could be a shift linkage problem too..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-03-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

If its in 4th around 3500 I go to shift...when it drops around 2500 I can put it in 5th clutch less with no grind. Im just wondering why it does that and when I use a clutch it grinds.

I never knew it could do that till the previous owner showed me. I just thought it was weird and it might explain the problem if someone with the right knowledge heard about it.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Shift_N/a

Matt64246 has disabled reputation

Collapsed pressure plate?.............
Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Racetracks

OK, so here goes. Shifting without the clutch can be done if the revs are matched, and will work ok. However, the synchros will still speed match the gear and the selector because there is probably still an RPM difference between the two. Shifting without the clutch is still much worse for the synchros than shifting using the clutch, and I'm guessing that the previous owner probably just fucked the transmission from whatever he was doing. The first gear problem is definitely a syncro problem, that's very common. You could need a different type of tranny fluid too, some cars are very sensitive to type (synthetic, etc), brand (different formulations), and fluid weight (viscosity), but it's usually not as bad as you describe, which makes me think it's a classic synchro problem. The fifth gear problem I've heard of with Honda trannies before, don't know why they do that. Could just be low fluid but I doubt it.

I'd say the first thing you should do is drain it and put a decent fluid in it, like Honda or GM Synchromesh. Use that only as a stopgap until you can get some new synchros though, unless new fluid completely solves the problem. It probably won't, though it may make it a little more drivable in the meantime.

The clutch is disengaging the tranny, correct? Your problems are just shift related, right?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-03-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Grinding 5th gear...no clutch..no grind?