Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Fuel gauge question...

Old 07-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Cruising @ 8000ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hatch77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel gauge question...

I just finished installing a custom gauge set-up in my hatch using Autometer Silver series gauges. They all work awesome, everything is quite a bit more accurate than stock gauges. Everything, except for my fuel gauge....it reads at half tank when my tank is empty. When I fill it up, it goes quite a bit beyond the F mark. When I was installing the wire to the sending unit from the tank to the gauge, I didn't disconnect the stock wire. Now, instead of have a kinda accurate one, I don't have a fuel gauge that works well at all. It seems that they are stealing power from each other, but I'm not sure. I'm about to go and check this out and I'll post results... Anyone know anything about these gauges?! I know they are digital and stuff, but I don't have much experience in this kind of work...any kind of help would be totally awesome. I'd really appreciate it!
Old 07-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Motor Trend Mechanic

VT Prix GT 2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fuel gauge question...

I didn't even know they had aftermarket electrical fuel gauges (I'm assuming its electrical since you mentioned a sending unit). Only thing I could think of with an inaccurate fuel gauge is to check the ground. I had a somewhat similar issue when I installed my oil pressure gauge, it read past the 100 psi mark, it ended up being a bad ground.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Cruising @ 8000ft

hatch77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fuel gauge question...

Thanks for the tip VT, I'll try that next. I took off the stock sending wire and installed the aftermarket wire in it's place and it's still reading the same. Could the gauge of the wire have anything to do with the inaccurate reading? I am using 12 gauge instead of the 16 the instructions said......If the gauge reads off of Ohms, then this would throw it off...but if it reads volts, then it doesn't matter...I'm at a loss as of what to do at this point...oh well.