Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Front End Alignments

Old 07-30-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAZDAWG has disabled reputation
Default Front End Alignments

I Found A Place In Virginia Beach That Specilizes In Front End Alingments On Lowered And Modified Suspension Cars And Trucks. As Some Of Us May Know That The State Law States That The Front Bymper Must Be At Least 14 Inches From The Ground At Its Lowest Point Well Thats Where I Got My Ticket So For All Of You Whom Need An Alignment Call Chris Alverez At Berts Alignment
499-2828 The Address Is 305 Rose Marie Ave. Va Beach 23462
It Off Of Va Beach Blvd In Aragona Kinda Across From Krispy Kreme
Old 07-30-2004, 11:36 AM

jdmfun99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Front End Alignments

its actually 14 inches from the bumper brace. No car is 14 inches high from the bottom of the bumper my friend.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:23 AM

MAZDAWG has disabled reputation
Default Front End Alignments

FYI: I WAS REFERING TO TRUCKS AND AS A MATTER OF FACT HERE'S THE LAW:

§ 46.2-1063. Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the range of bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-747 shall be nine to twenty-two inches.

No vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation. No part of the original suspension system of a motor vehicle shall be disconnected to defeat the safe operation of its suspension system. However, nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavy duty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit the driving on a public highway of a motor vehicle with normal wear to the suspension system if such normal wear does not adversely affect the control of the vehicle.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.

No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.

This section shall not apply to specially designed or modified motor vehicles when driven off the public highways in races and similar events. Such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of the Commonwealth.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:05 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

what does the state law have to do with a car getting aligned?

i do them all the time.....as long as i have about two and a half inches of clearance (there are rub rails on the rack i have to clear) i can do it.....
Old 07-31-2004, 10:22 AM

jdmfun99 is an unknown quantity at this point

bumper bar is the fucking brace behind the bumper , its about level with where your lisence plate should be displayed.A buddy of mine is a state trooper and he explained to me cause some ass clown of a cop actually pulled me over and pulled out measuring tape and a poloroid and measured from the bottom part of the bumper and the judge threw it out cause I went to court with a copy of the law my buddy gave me and a few pics of the bumper off my car.