Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

freshening up a ls

Old 04-26-2009, 04:54 PM
HAMBONE JONES...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
z31kid is on a distinguished road
Default freshening up a ls

alright so i grabbed a b18a1 block from a friend of mine to replace my blown one..i only wanna do a few things to it..replace a few of the gaskets and put in my car...My question is must i get the head and bottom end milled if i replace the head gasket with a replacement one..i know i have to check to tolerneces on the block first but still am i able to put it on without having to do all that..im using arp head studs and im getting a complete acl gasket set...somebody with some expertise enlighten me..
Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 PM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington
Default Re: freshening up a ls

as long as the block and the head are clean you'll be fine.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
HAMBONE JONES...

alright...well ill def make sure i clean the mating surfaces good then..i know 3m makes this little bristle pad thats perfect for the job so ima snag one of those up and get started as soon as possible..cant wait to get this thing back on the road..this is my first actual build or whatever u want to call it..ive def got some more little goodies ima throw in the mix and put together somethin else...Im def intrested in building a H2B.. or even a F2B..either or ima def do the build..looks pretty fun...
Old 04-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

b18b has disabled reputation

Just because the mating surfaces are clean does not mean it will seal properly. Why chance a leak/poor seal over a $35-50 resurface job when you are already putting out money for nice parts like ARP head studs and new gaskets. Once you heat cycle that head gasket and stretch those bolts, those parts are useless the 2nd time around... so do it right the 1st time. just my .02
Old 04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
HAMBONE JONES...

Originally Posted by b18b
Just because the mating surfaces are clean does not mean it will seal properly. Why chance a leak/poor seal over a $35-50 resurface job when you are already putting out money for nice parts like ARP head studs and new gaskets. Once you heat cycle that head gasket and stretch those bolts, those parts are useless the 2nd time around... so do it right the 1st time. just my .02
yeah ur definately right...id rather do it right the first time anyways..i had no idea a resuface job was that cheap...thats not actually bad at all..i was just thinking it might be outrageous b/c i went to a shop that really aint have prices for me..and it seemed like they were overcharging me for somethin i have expirience in and know its not a all da affair if anything 30 minutes tops to resurface a head..but hey im glad i asked these questions..i hate doin shit over....