Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

FMU & PUMP for turbo

Old 01-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Home, finally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012
Default FMU & PUMP for turbo

I hear that you don't have to have an aftermarket fuel pump, or an FMU to install a turbo kit if you're not boosting high. What's up with that? I'm only looking to boost 6 psi for awhile. I've never owned a turbo car, and I've raced people with turbos who seem to swerve when their boost kicks so I'm adjusting to it first.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:04 PM
sittin' on chrome

darksol4life is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why they would swerve, boost for they most part is gradual. It's not quite a kick in the pants like NOS. As far as a pump and fmu. You don't really need a new pump for low boost, but you will need some sort of fuel management system.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:52 PM
//

theJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these parts

yea, you won't need that fuel pump for 5-6 lbs, but you will need tuning and that fmu if you don't plan on spending much on managment.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:48 PM
McLovin

BLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these partsBLACK JEFF is infamous around these parts

just a helpful little hint if you end up buying a fuel pump. i have a bosch inline fuel pump and it is pretty loud.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:14 AM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

My car on 5psi with no intank fuel pump hits fuel cut....just something to think about.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex

friend blew his Type R on 6psi with fmu and no pump. better get both to be sure
Old 01-18-2004, 05:17 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

if your using an fmu, USE AN INLINE OR INTANK HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP, if you dont want to blow your motor up, especially if your running a 12:1 disk and boosting like 7 lbs, think about it, stock hondas run stock 36 psi of fuel pressure, add 12(psi for every pound of boost) x 7(your said max boost)=84 , 84psi(under full boost conditions) + 36 psi(stock pressure) thats 120 psi of pressure that the fmu is trying to create, your stock pump creates a maximum of 80 and it wil fall off once you reach a certain rpm and maximum fuel pressure, your starving your motor of fuel and most likely detonating if your not putting that pressure in there, hell, i blew my motor without an inline pump, my friend blew 4, count them 4 motors without using his inline pump, and he ran the same motor for 2 years prior with an inline pump and never had a problem, you want to save your motor and some money, use an inline or intank pump capable of at least 120 psi........
Old 01-18-2004, 06:06 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally posted by darksol4life
I don't know why they would swerve, boost for they most part is gradual. It's not quite a kick in the pants like NOS. As far as a pump and fmu. You don't really need a new pump for low boost, but you will need some sort of fuel management system.
torque steer dude, for people like me with stock open differentials as soon as boost hits your right side tire gets most of the power being produced causing most of our cars to pull to the right, mine does it real bad, im making 261 hp and 228 ft lbs of torque on my stock ls and damned if i dont almost hit the curb whenever i smash the gas, my boost isnt very gradual at all, it hits all at one time, im looking to invest in a quaife in the future to eliminate torque steer, cause sometimes its real scary on these back roads..........
Old 01-19-2004, 04:17 PM
the baddest assed

MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE

fmu's are bandaids.. just get a good pump (i use two walbro gss340's) and of course a good conservative tune... shouldnt need injectors at first either.

i also prefer to use a rising rate regulator (1/1) but your car may allready have one.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Home, finally

Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012
Default Thanks

I appreciate y'alls help. It seems there are pros and cons to owning either one, both, or neither. I might as well go with both to eliminate all cons, and be safe rather than sorry.

Quick Reply: FMU & PUMP for turbo