Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

fmu or base mapping a chipped ecu if untuned

Old 11-29-2006, 07:53 PM
FL1PSDE 101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default fmu or base mapping a chipped ecu if untuned

just got a question..i have an integra ls that im about to turbo...is it better to run a chipped ecu with a base map on it than fmu....so i would just have enough time to save up for the tuning money without messing up my motor
Old 11-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: fmu or base mapping a chipped ecu if untuned

If the ECU is running on a basemap, that's basically a stock ECU. So you're not really doing anything to help yourself, unless you can get someone to make a quick and dirty basemap that accounts for whatever differences in injector size, etc. This will tide you over until you get tuned, and will put you in about the same place as an FMU. FMUs are really a ghetto solution to fueling..
Old 11-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can not aford to do i the right way the first time then I would recomend to keep saving until you can. Running untuned can cause damage as no two cars are alike so the base map may be to rich or to lean and cause issues.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If the ECU is running on a basemap, that's basically a stock ECU. So you're not really doing anything to help yourself, unless you can get someone to make a quick and dirty basemap that accounts for whatever differences in injector size, etc. This will tide you over until you get tuned, and will put you in about the same place as an FMU. FMUs are really a ghetto solution to fueling..

basemap will get you to the dyno safer than a fmu will.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

They are both fine if you stay out of boost until you get it tuned

On that note, screw an FMU.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 PM
FL1PSDE 101

Fl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond reputeFl1pSde 101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaRn
They are both fine if you stay out of boost until you get it tuned

On that note, screw an FMU.
cause im gonna be driving to richmond to get my car tuned.so basemaped chipped ecu like chrome is fine to use just to have something to drive with to the tuner..cause its far so as long i dont hit boost then i should be fine right
Old 11-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette

You should be fine on a base tune as long as your not boosting it or driving the car hard. I would go with chipping the ecu and do everything right the first time, instead of having to redo it later.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SilverDC4Life
cause im gonna be driving to richmond to get my car tuned.so basemaped chipped ecu like chrome is fine to use just to have something to drive with to the tuner..cause its far so as long i dont hit boost then i should be fine right
exactly, just don't hit boost, and in your basemap, make the boost portions SUPER rich just in case..

Like, find a basemap from another use with a setup similar to yours, and add 15% fuel to boost sections..
Old 11-30-2006, 06:23 PM
FL1PSDE 101

i have a p28 ecu for an older civic,wat other ecu can i use..caus ei bought an obd2a to abd1 ecu conversion harness,now i need the ecu...and suggestions..can i use a p28 to be chipped with chrome and have it based map so i can drive it safely as long as i dont hit boost,jus tto get to richmond,(tuner) safely...am i right....thanks guys for all the help
Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Kristian, call me. This is simple...... I'm off all day Friday.

Quick Reply: fmu or base mapping a chipped ecu if untuned