Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

First Honda: 99 SI, going b20 vtec.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parsons_04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First Honda: 99 SI, going b20 vtec.

im not a 100% positive but i think you can use your own mounts. because you have a B series in it and you are just going to put another one in. and i think you might want to save the knock sensor because your b20 doesnt have one. oh yeah and you want to save the cooling adapter off the back of you b16a2. its the piece that is conected to the oil filter.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:30 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by tatmonster
OR instead of all the hastle of removing the wiring harness just buy an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. Ive always had good experiences with that route.
Yup. Unneccesary wiring on Hondas has always got me baffled. This isn't 1998 where there was nothing out, they make plug and play kits. Don't be so fucking ghetto people.

Originally Posted by parsons_04
im not a 100% positive but i think you can use your own mounts. because you have a B series in it and you are just going to put another one in. and i think you might want to save the knock sensor because your b20 doesnt have one. oh yeah and you want to save the cooling adapter off the back of you b16a2. its the piece that is conected to the oil filter.
If he goes OBD-1 and gets it tuned like he is supposed to. He won't need a knock sensor.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

CharlieBush is on a distinguished road

hey man im a mustang guy with a honda. So basically the b series is like Your windsor family. Each motor has different pros and cons.(i.e. stroke and rpms) but with hondas some have vtech. And with mustangs we have nitrous but the b20 vtech would be the equivalent of a 351w with a set of after market heads. Well its no longer about displacement we now have a replacement called turbos, improved volumetric efficiency, and rpms. but hondas have variable valve timing which is the secret to honda power. hondas blocks can hold up to (pushin it) 450 with a block gaurd. An aftermarket block for your mustang runs about 2500 unmachined plus 700 dollars worth of machine work. Hondas get sleeved at that point running around 1200. the b20 has the largest bore(84mm)and tied with the b18a/b for longest stroke(89mm)the family makes lots of power with a big displacement for a honda. but with the long stroke you suffer rpms. To try and get a few back you can bolt on the b18c main girdle and spin it a little higher. Now most parts are interchangeable only a few parts require more than one thing swapped over to make it work. Now you know if your car came with a 289 302 or 351 the mounts are the same and the only difference is deckheight. Same with honda mounts. A beseries mount in ur si will mount the b20 bottom end. Your gear ratio is now determined by what transmission you have not by a ring and pinion. The
b18c has the shortest ratio(faster 0-60)the b18a/b has a longer ration(gas mileage)many people have different preferences on choice so it up to you. The great things about hondas that , no need for after market heads the b16 b18c heads flow rediculous. A port and polish is a good upgrade. well our mustangs dont have is blueprinted motors from the factory, stock forged crank. if you thought your mustang had cheap or plentiful in parts wait till you start your honda. And i know that t45 you had probably shit itself after you beat it up a little. The stock honda transmissions hold a rediculous amount and there cheaper. Oh and its much easier to work on. i love mustangs but my honda seems more capable for less
Old 02-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

95MustangGT has disabled reputation

Thats someod information man, yeah i do miss my mustang but this honda is so much fun to drive. And handles way better than my 5.0 did

On another note, i should be buying the b20 long block assembly from passwordjdm. in a week or so, also just going to upgrade the intake manifold to a skunk2, and headers of course and cams.

I was going to get some heads, but am i better off just getting the b16 heads ported and polished?

I'm pretty sure im going to have Pro Motion Tuning build this for me because i have no experience what so ever..and i wan't it done right.

Like i said before, im just buying some upgraded parts like the cams and intake and headers just to give it a little more power when i do the swap. And also, so the b20 will have vtec in it.

Keep comming people i need more information! Probably going to go to pro motion sometime this weekend to talk to them about it! Hopefully this project will be finished by the end of the year.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 AM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K

I highly recommend that you read this before you just throw a head on there.
http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/b-seri...tec-guide.html
Old 02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

that was a pretty good article!

Since i already have the b16 motor in my si..im just going to use that. But i am going to send it out to get ported and polished.

I've been looking for cams for my project, and i don't know what to really look for. One thing i never understood was lift! Like i said, its going to be a b20vtec, im buying the full long block off passwordjdm and im going to have pro motion build it or some other shop with a good rep. I'm just going to buy the skunk2 intake manifold, headers and im going to take the heads out of my car and get them ported and polished..to finish it all up im going to throw some cams in there.

This will be my daily driver, usually i take it easy on my cars but of course sometimes i open it up. So im looking for the most reliable setup.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by 95MustangGT
that was a pretty good article!

Since i already have the b16 motor in my si..im just going to use that. But i am going to send it out to get ported and polished.

I've been looking for cams for my project, and i don't know what to really look for. One thing i never understood was lift! Like i said, its going to be a b20vtec, im buying the full long block off passwordjdm and im going to have pro motion build it or some other shop with a good rep. I'm just going to buy the skunk2 intake manifold, headers and im going to take the heads out of my car and get them ported and polished..to finish it all up im going to throw some cams in there.

This will be my daily driver, usually i take it easy on my cars but of course sometimes i open it up. So im looking for the most reliable setup.
If you want to you can daily drive a fully-built all motor setup like that but don't expect it to last very long.

It's HEAD. Get Seth at Abacus to take a look at the head.

I recommend Pro1s or Pro2s. One b20vtec made 215 thru a ITR header thru the exhaust with a ported head on Pro1s. Another b20vtec made 215 thru a itr header and exhaust on a unported head and Pro2s. Haha, but there are 1858120585 different variables that could affect that.

And if you want a quick DD, just get a b20 shortblock and a lsvtec conversion kit and go get tuned. Just don't rev it past 8-8200.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 PM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K

Yo promotion is not in buisness anymore... not only that i really have not heard to many good things. try hybrid or places at the beach or up north. I'm from fredericksburg also, what does you SI look like? i had a championship White JDM front end integra with a b20, but i sold it so im on the look out for another ride. GL with you project, send me a PM if you need some more info about b20/vtec or if you want to meet up, but that one link i sent you will give you a "reliable" motor.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Damn they aren't in business anymore?

its a 99 si, its the stock si blue, slammed with the si's and the jdm front bumper(black). and 20 percent tint...i need to get some pictures up.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

This is my car..i could get the bumper painted anytime at my job for free..but im kinda liking the black bumper! I need to get a damn foglight bulb for the driver side..do i have to get a certain one?
Attached Thumbnails First Honda: 99 SI, going b20 vtec.-photo-0024.jpg  

Quick Reply: First Honda: 99 SI, going b20 vtec.