Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Exhaust Wrap - pros and cons?

Old 07-14-2007, 01:40 PM
THE FIASCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blasko is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust Wrap - pros and cons?

It is HOT under my hood. I pull my car into my air conditioned garage and have to let it sit for 8 hours before i can touch anything. Ive done a few cooling mods, but need more. Every bit helps!

I bought the stuff to wrap my turbo manifold and downpipe. Its going to be a bitch to do.

Is it worth it? Anyone notice a difference? Safety problems? I had someone tell me that they had an oil leak and the wrap caught on fire, any ideas?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:15 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!
Default Re: Exhaust Wrap - pros and cons?

hood scoop?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

murphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these parts

pros - keeps temps down, "looks cool"

cons - keeps in moisture, cracccks
Old 07-15-2007, 06:00 AM
formerly si_zc_civic

fwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to behold

VR-4ever used this stuff. ask him about it.

http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969
Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Sounds like you have a tuning problem, or some other engine related problem. If you have to wait that long for it to cool down, something is not quite right.
That being said, on the insulation side header wrap is nice, and it's removable. Ceramic coating is good, though doesn't usually insulate as well as header wrap. I think it's a myth that header wrap causes cracks, and I think that if your manifold is going to crack it's going to do it with or without any type of insulation material on it.
Yes, header wrap could potentially catch on fire if you have a big oil leak. If the leak is that bad, you have fire danger without any exhaust wrap also.

I've used ceramic coating on just about every engine part you can think of for our racecars, and I really like it. We usually ceramic coat our manifolds and then header wrap them for more heat rejection. We have carbon bodywork to protect though, and have to keep our inboard brakes from cooking.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-15-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

ive always used exhuast wrap in kart racing. on those small engines and the engine dynos it does increase performance, and also makes exhuast pipes last longer from cranking in our experience. Never heard of exhuast wrap MAKING somthign crack like dude said up there.None of my stuff on my car is wrapped, due to I have a CAST turbonetics manifold. If i had tubular I would wrapp it.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

important is an unknown quantity at this point

where do you get header wrap?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:11 PM
やくざに成りたい

atmdc has disabled reputation

pepboys has it i think and autozone, dunno the quality though...
Old 07-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Y U NO REP ME ?!?

Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L

Ive been using DEI header wrap with there steal zip ties from autozone for almost 2yrs now and have had no header issues. I do suggest doing it outside because the fiberglass gets everywhere.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:05 AM
Banned

important is an unknown quantity at this point

well i tried advance and either they were out or they dont carry it,so ill head to pepboys on my break today.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap - pros and cons?