Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Exhaust Leak

Old 04-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva
Default Exhaust Leak

I have an exhaust leak on my car and I can hear it as well as smell it. What's an easy way to locate it? My exhaust is so loud that I can't hear where it's coming from. I have jacked my car up and have gotten under it while it was on and I couldn't locate it. Any methods? I've heard taking a rag an putting it around section of the exhaust can locate it if you see the rag move. How effective is that?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:58 AM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic
Default Re: Exhaust Leak

Put your hand over the end of the pipe so it turns into a struggling baffling noise, you will be able to then lean down under the car and hear the exhuast leak making more noise than the little bit of air making it past your hand which is being scorched by the exhuast tip.

Good luck retard.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

first check all the gaskets at every joint, if theyre ok, tighten the bolts up to make a seal, and if u still have a leak, submerge the exhaust in water and hook an air compressor and blow air thru it, ull find the leak
Old 04-19-2005, 12:13 PM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic

Why the fuck are you goin to go threw the hell of tighting gaskets and what not at every joint? Find the leak first num nuts, its not rocket science, do you think state inspections go threw all that just to put a sticker on your car?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Clean Freak.

Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean

Dan, not everyone has the quick fix abilities of a mexican.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:25 PM
RS Doscientos

These are simple problems... its like asking how to check air in your tire.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by litlespic
Why the fuck are you goin to go threw the hell of tighting gaskets and what not at every joint? Find the leak first num nuts, its not rocket science, do you think state inspections go threw all that just to put a sticker on your car?

Uh i would have to say yes, what ever they can do to make more money yes they will go and try to make it.

he jus said his exhaust note is too loud to hear it, and i doubt he wants to put his hand on the piping especially near the Down pipe
Old 04-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

fmstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

get a fucking spray bottle with some water in it and go to work.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:32 PM
RS Doscientos

Why the fuck would he put his hand on the downpipe?

You cover the rear of the exhuast where the exhuast should be exiting. Ex. The Tail Pipe.

That way the only noise you should hear is a baffling noise at the tailpipe and be able to decifer where the exhuast leak is at. Because covering the Tail Pipe will cause all the exhuast to try to come out of the leak. Make it louder worst while the tail pipe is korked. Its not rocket science as I said before. Its just pinpointed a problem. If your engine doesnt start, you dont rip the oil pan off and take out rods, you go threw steps of diagnostics. Why are you going to tighten every joint becuase one has a leak, and it might even be a pin hole somewhere.

I hate idiots. Im done trying help.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva

Well thanks for the help everyone. I pinpointed the leak by getting under there and feeling my hand slowly down the exhaust system until I felt air. It's a pretty bad leak too, I didn't catch it the first time because it was on the driver's side of my exhaust (which is harder to look at and angle a feel at). I didn't scorch my hand because I let the car cool down for like 5 hours so as soon as I turned my car on, I got under it (since the pipes take awhile to warm up).

Edit: Litlespic, I took your advice anyways by shoving a potato in my exhaust and the car just stalled out.

Last edited by Qwiksillva; 04-19-2005 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak