Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

excessive engine noise

Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC
Default excessive engine noise

ok...my engine's making excessive noise for some odd reason...don't recall it being this loud when i put it in about 7 months ago. I've read about LMA's but not sure if that's the problem because this engine has roughly 75k miles on it, and from reading there was no specific time from or mileage when they may need replacing. Also, it seems as though i need my valve seals replace...would this add to the noise? I had the valves adjusted about 3 months ago and it seemed to quiet it down, but now it seems louder.

here's a vid i took today
Old 05-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: excessive engine noise

Bad audio quality, sounds like a rod. Seems like too much noise to be valve train. I'm assuming the motor has spent a lot of its life in some higher RPM's? What oil are you running? Valve seals don't make noise, they just cause you to drink oil. (Open the oil fill with the engine running, if its pumping out tons of smoke, your seals are either case, still sounds like Mr. Rod wants to come out. Time to go pick out a casket. . . or a 100 shot!

Last edited by RandomTask; 05-05-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Bad audio quality, sounds like a rod. Seems like too much noise to be valve train. I'm assuming the motor has spent a lot of its life in some higher RPM's? What oil are you running? Valve seals don't make noise, they just cause you to drink oil. (Open the oil fill with the engine running, if its pumping out tons of smoke, your seals are either case, still sounds like Mr. Rod wants to come out. Time to go pick out a casket. . . or a 100 shot!
i'm using Castrol 5w30 and on any given day it sees 8600 rpm atleast once or twice

Last edited by BLU CIVIC; 05-05-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

you dumb. k-series..lol

Sound like you have rod knock. Drain your oil and see if any signs of metal shreds come out. You probably spun a bearing and need a rebuilt.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Originally Posted by vtec2.0
if you were k-series you wouldn't have this problem...
i probably would...turned out to be the throw-out bearing...and my B16b is good

Originally Posted by RE-SPECGARAGE
you dumb. k-series..lol

Sound like you have rod knock. Drain your oil and see if any signs of metal shreds come out. You probably spun a bearing and need a rebuilt.

Good luck.
that's what i thought it was...but i press the clutch in, it goes away, let it out, and it comes back...spun a bearing a few months ago and this had me on edge so i misdiagnosed the problem

Last edited by BLU CIVIC; 05-08-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

oh ok. It sounded like a rod knock fromt he videol.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
i probably would...turned out to be the throw-out bearing...and my B16b is good

that's what i thought it was...but i press the clutch in, it goes away, let it out, and it comes back...spun a bearing a few months ago and this had me on edge so i misdiagnosed the problem
be carefully just cause u push the clutch does not always mean its a thow out bearing, iv seen a few times where its acutally a bearing in the tranny that is making the noise and when u press the clutch it stops spinning so the noise stops....
Old 05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

thanks for that info...wouldn't have considered that...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Originally Posted by RameyBuilt
be carefully just cause u push the clutch does not always mean its a thow out bearing, iv seen a few times where its acutally a bearing in the tranny that is making the noise and when u press the clutch it stops spinning so the noise stops....
bearing in the transmission
Old 05-09-2009, 04:44 AM
Registered Member

ethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond repute

im in this same boat man..gettin my tranny rebuilt so i know its 100% reliable..

Quick Reply: excessive engine noise