Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

EF died on me today

Old 08-17-2007, 02:03 AM
やくざに成りたい

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atmdc has disabled reputation
Default EF died on me today

i was driving from va to nc today and my ef broke down halfway into the trip. had to be towed all the way back 130 miles

I cant seem to figure out what could have happened? i was driving steady about 70mph and then the rpms just dropped about half and then slowly started to go down until it shut off.

I sat there for a while and then tried to start it back up, it idled for a little bit but then when i touched the gas it died instantly. I popped the hood and it smelled kinda like burnt oil. I checked the oil, it was blacked but didnt look unusual, I checked the coolant and it seemed fine. I took the spark plugs out and 3 were dripping with oil, i dont think this is normal though.

I plan on doing a compression test tommorow but I figured I'd see if I could get help here first. Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 04:14 AM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing
Default Re: EF died on me today

Sounds like the tps plug
Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 AM
posted on da block

l0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud of

the 3 dripping oil is not good and is not normal but is a know problem. from my knowledge you change a seal or gasket around the spark plugs.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 AM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing

I didn't read the dripping oil part. It is one of 3 things that will cause this, completely trashed rings(doughtful), valve cover oil seals, valve seals(most likely).
Old 08-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Registered Member

89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si 89 cRiX Si

might wanna check the rotor on the dizzy. mine came unscrewed before and caused my car to die on the highway.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 AM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

If the plug wires were dripping with oil it could be the little rubber grommets under the VC at the top of the tube for the plugs.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 AM
やくざに成りたい

i just replaced those not that long ago, i know about that problem, ive fixed a couple cars before like that. I'm going to check the rotor though because i was tihnking about that last night.

i was thinking maybe it could be the rings because my car was burning some oil before and running rich but i dunno
Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 AM
www.CM-R.net

The rings would have to be very bad to allow that much oil past.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

I really don't think it was the rings. it sounds like your timing belt stretched possibly.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 PM
やくざに成りたい

was the stupid rotor button, fixed it. stupid ass car haha

Quick Reply: EF died on me today