Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Eagle rods can be used with?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm a WHORE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud of
Default Eagle rods can be used with?

Currently building;
ls block
ls crank
stock ls rods and pistons.

this build is about 85% done. with only a few little things to do.

ok so I picked up a pair of eagle rods yesterday for a decent price, but b/c of my lack of research I think I bought a set I cant use.

The rods I bought are the 5430( length 5.430") which is for a b18c.
The ls rod lengths are 5.394".

The journal sizes are the same on both rods. I noticed that the end of the rod that connects to the crank has a little wear on it as if it was hitting the "girdle" that is between the rod and the oil pick up.

1. what defines the length of the rod. Is it the overall length? From the centerline of the crank to centerline of the conecting pin?

2. Since the rods I bought are longer than what " is suppose" to be used, Can I get more shallow pistons ( dim from center of connecting rod pin hole to the top piston face) to compensate.

3. Do i have to use the Girdle( I cant remember the correct name)? would this allow for any more clearance on the bottom end.

thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by HunterJohnson; 05-04-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm a WHORE

HunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud ofHunterJohnson has much to be proud of
Default Re: Eagle rods can be used with??//

think I found the issue. The rod end width is larger for the a/b. Im taking a caliper to everthing this weekend ( after i go buy the caliper)

Just for discussion lets say they where the same width, could I use the longer rods and smaller pistons. How would the higher compression affect the build. ie. what would i need to look out for, upgrade, replace, ect.

anyone have any input on the other questions.

these are forsale now. check thread if intersted.

Last edited by HunterJohnson; 05-05-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

murderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these partsmurderS2k is infamous around these parts

i think if you had a gsr crank you could use the gsr rods.with the ls crank an longer rods will cause the piston to hit the head when top dead center.i dont think there are any companys that make special pistons for what your trying to do.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm a WHORE

yea that's what I was think ing. But I read that the crank sizes are different? I am just going to sell them and try to get new ones
Old 05-05-2010, 02:08 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Dont get into something you have no idea about. Messing with wrist-pin locating isn't something your average 'engine builder' will recommend.

Get some LS eagles. Is this for a allmotor setup or a boost setup?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703

Don't know if you plan on changing your build but you could always get a gsr crank and girdle, and gsr aftermarket pistons and basically have gsr internals in a b18a/b block........... Me and a friend did a build like that last year , ran the motor in a couple races and sold the motor. So far the motor is still holding up and made decent power
Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm a WHORE

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Dont get into something you have no idea about. Messing with wrist-pin locating isn't something your average 'engine builder' will recommend.

Get some LS eagles. Is this for a allmotor setup or a boost setup?
All motor, im going to run a stock head(-gears) until I can get time and moneyzzz to build another one.
Im planning on getting ls ones, I have these up for sale/trade now.
Also found out that the gsr rods have rods have a bigger crank end width. Im assming the gsr crank has "slots" for the rods.

Originally Posted by team703
Don't know if you plan on changing your build but you could always get a gsr crank and girdle, and gsr aftermarket pistons and basically have gsr internals in a b18a/b block........... Me and a friend did a build like that last year , ran the motor in a couple races and sold the motor. So far the motor is still holding up and made decent power
I have been reading about doing this, but this is my completely last option. The gsr crank has a smaller main bearing size( now sure what you call this dimension) . Correct me if im wrong. If thats right, then all i would need is " thicker" main bairings to fit the crank into the ls block?

How would having longer rods affect compression? Would it? Would the added length cause valve to piston contact?

Last edited by HunterJohnson; 05-05-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added some skizzzzzzit
Old 05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
HighestTraderRating

ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant* ant*

Originally Posted by HunterJohnson
All motor, im going to run a stock head(-gears) until I can get time and moneyzzz to build another one.
Im planning on getting ls ones, I have these up for sale/trade now.
Also found out that the gsr rods have rods have a bigger crank end width. Im assming the gsr crank has "slots" for the rods.

I have been reading about doing this, but this is my completely last option. The gsr crank has a smaller main bearing size( now sure what you call this dimension) . Correct me if im wrong. If thats right, then all i would need is " thicker" main bairings to fit the crank into the ls block?

How would having longer rods affect compression? Would it? Would the added length cause valve to piston contact?
if ur going all motor and dont plan to spray your stock rods are fine. no need to over build. get your money back or sell the rods.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm a WHORE

Originally Posted by ant*
if ur going all motor and dont plan to spray your stock rods are fine. no need to over build. get your money back or sell the rods.
i see where you are coming from. I just like the security knowing that I can beat the fuck out of the motor when I get bored/feel the need to.
I guess it all depends if i can hunt down the machine shop who has my bottom end. (long fucking story)
Old 05-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703

Originally Posted by HunterJohnson
i see where you are coming from. I just like the security knowing that I can beat the fuck out of the motor when I get bored/feel the need to.
I guess it all depends if i can hunt down the machine shop who has my bottom end. (long fucking story)
Long story as in "Dude, where's my car" story........................

Quick Reply: Eagle rods can be used with?