Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Diff Problems (Output Shaft Question)

Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I Roll Fenders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia
Default Diff Problems (Output Shaft Question)

I am having problems installing my LSD in my Open Diff pumpkin. I bought a 1.5 way Nismo LSD and it is supposed to be made to be installed in an Open Diff pumpkin, but my output shafts will not fit. One is too long and one is too short (yes I tried putting them in both sides).

I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers on this. Could the shims being in the wrong sides make the output shafts not fit AND still allow the Ring and Pinion gears to line up properly, because as they are now the ring and pinion at aligned correctly. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Stephen
Old 02-07-2006, 03:49 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diff Problems (Output Shaft Question)

Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
I am having problems installing my LSD in my Open Diff pumpkin. I bought a 1.5 way Nismo LSD and it is supposed to be made to be installed in an Open Diff pumpkin, but my output shafts will not fit. One is too long and one is too short (yes I tried putting them in both sides).

I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers on this. Could the shims being in the wrong sides make the output shafts not fit AND still allow the Ring and Pinion gears to line up properly, because as they are now the ring and pinion at aligned correctly. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Stephen

if the shims were put in wrong you wouldnt be able to spin the ring gear assembly when it was installed.

if that diff was more than like 5 years old then it was designed as a vlsd replacement diff. When i bought my KAAZ from the US distributor Newport Exotic Cars in 99 i could not get it installed because of the sideshafts. I ended up having to buy a VLSD sideshaft from nissan to get the diff to work in my 96. Now KAAZ has moddified the diff to work with open diff sideshafts.

More than likely you have a diff that requires VLSD sideshafts. I cant remember but put the short shaft on the other side and now you need a really long one. A VLSD one.

its been a long time so i cant remember too well.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:22 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Originally Posted by Greaser
if the shims were put in wrong you wouldnt be able to spin the ring gear assembly when it was installed.

if that diff was more than like 5 years old then it was designed as a vlsd replacement diff. When i bought my KAAZ from the US distributor Newport Exotic Cars in 99 i could not get it installed because of the sideshafts. I ended up having to buy a VLSD sideshaft from nissan to get the diff to work in my 96. Now KAAZ has moddified the diff to work with open diff sideshafts.

More than likely you have a diff that requires VLSD sideshafts. I cant remember but put the short shaft on the other side and now you need a really long one. A VLSD one.

its been a long time so i cant remember too well.

Thank you Greaser, I had been trying to call you but couldn't find your phone number, haha. I already bought one for an Open Diff and am selling this one now, do you know if the JDM VLSD half shafts are the same as the USDM VLSD half shafts?

Thanks
Stephen
Old 02-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
Thank you Greaser, I had been trying to call you but couldn't find your phone number, haha. I already bought one for an Open Diff and am selling this one now, do you know if the JDM VLSD half shafts are the same as the USDM VLSD half shafts?

Thanks
Stephen
i'll give you the number next time i see you. give me yours so i can enter it in my phone. If you know me you know i dont answer numbers i dont know. and i use my phone for very specific purposes.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I Roll Fenders

Yeah I know, my old phone broke in half so that's why I don't have your number anymore, haha. Thanks for the help.