Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

d17a2 ??????

Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aacjohnc has disabled reputation
Default d17a2 ??????

close

Last edited by aacjohnc; 01-09-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

LC2ner has disabled reputation
Default Re: d17a2 ??????

Well, I think its pointless cause the engine is a piece of junk. I have one. There are minimal gains with bolt ons. For real, you can pick up a B16 less then you think you can, most likely.

I doubt you would find mounts for the swap too. Its just not something that people do/have done. Plus, the D in that, and the D17 are completely different engines.

Just my $.02 but good luck
Old 04-14-2006, 06:25 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

It can be done. My friend did it. It's pointless though. For the money you would spend on the D17, not to mention it's a diff obd2 i think obd2B or somn. Anyways, you could turbo your current motor or just pic up a dohc..
Old 04-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

Wwell the reason I was asking was because my d16y8 is messed up and I can get one of the d17a2 for rather cheap cause one of my friends is swaping that out of his car and he is basically given it too me . But I figure it would be more of aproblem than anything .thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I say get another Y8! You can find them pretty much all day for like...600
Old 04-14-2006, 08:48 AM
UNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCE

boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband

If you've got the time, patienece and money, you can get a D17A2 and go ahead and build it. There's all kinds of parts out there for it now.

I'd recommend checking out this website and what they've got for the D17A2. It's actually a pretty capable motor, now that there's stuff available for it.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

It can be done. You will have to use your distributor, wiring harness ( probably) and ECU. There is actually a spot for the dizzy in the head, with just a plug in it. I don't like the motor mostly because of the lack on aftermarket support for it. You can get basic bolt ons, but thats about it without having to do serious work.

I would also suggest using your intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors, and probably fuel line. Will open up a lot more as far as aftermarket fuel rails and stuff like that.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

LC2ner has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SlowLS
It can be done. You will have to use your distributor, wiring harness ( probably) and ECU. There is actually a spot for the dizzy in the head, with just a plug in it. I don't like the motor mostly because of the lack on aftermarket support for it. You can get basic bolt ons, but thats about it without having to do serious work.

I would also suggest using your intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors, and probably fuel line. Will open up a lot more as far as aftermarket fuel rails and stuff like that.
You sure about all of that? I know for a fact that you cant use the intake manifold, and I'm pretty sure that the rail isnt useable either. Trust me, if there was a swappable manifold, then they would talk about it on the 7thgen Forums.

If you can do it, go for it. It's different. But I have a D17, and it's not all that great. If you want info on the engine and its aftermarket support, check out www.7thGenCivic.com