Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

D16Z6 swap into 89 civic

Old 02-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nwr_tunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default D16Z6 swap into 89 civic

I have a 92-95 D16Z6 that I want to swap into my 89 civic but I dont know anything about the wiring. I know that I would have to get a nother ecu but have know idea what kind. also would I have to get a new harness to get the vTec to work?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:52 AM
HOORAY BEER!!

cantseemyfeet has disabled reputation
Default Re: D16Z6 swap into 89 civic

I can tell you what you need, but you will need a veteran to put this shit together for you..
ECU and wire harness from a 93 Civic EX will work (thats what we used, anyway). Look at www.hasport.com for a good set of mounts cause you may have to change them. You need the ECU to run VTEC and the wire harness to get the thing to work right. Like I said, getting what you need is the easy part. Get a few Vets and alot of booze and expect things to go wrong, they always will.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
I'M BACK

PRO-Habit

Originally Posted by cantseemyfeet
... expect things to go wrong, they always will.
Isnt this the truth. Dont expect everything to work 100 percent as soon as you THINK your finished. more times than not, something wont work right. So just double check your work as your doing it and be patient. Ive done plenty of swaps.....usualy there will be some sort of kink , but its usualy very easy to fix and get the car operational. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:15 AM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

Well it is different between the dx, si, and "civic" models. If you have a 4 spd tranny it is the "civic" model, 5 spd tranny it is a "dx" or model, and if you have a sunroof its the "si". If you have the "civic" model you will need to convert DPFI to MPFI. If it is a dx or si model you will just need to swap the wiring harness off the dx motor and put it on the obd-1 ex motor. You will need to take the drivers side main mount off the stock motor and swap it on the obd-1 motor. You should probably buy an obd0-obd1 conversion harness because it makes it easy to wire up the dizzy and run vtec and use a p28 ecu.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Banned

89sihatch is an unknown quantity at this point

even if it is he dx you will still have to convert it to multi-port and if you do not go with the obd1 conversion harness then you can use the obdo pr3 b-16 ecu and the si dizzy off of a d16a6 but you will have to slot the dizzy mount and you can only use 1 bolt to hold it on. you will also need to use obdo injectors,resistor box and its best if you run an obdo intake manifold and sensors so the computer wont be thrown off because the obd1 sensors sometimes give a different signal then obdo sensors do.if you want to call me i can help you do your swap and wire every thing up so call me at 757-714-7089 and we can discuss everthing further
Old 02-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I can convert a OBD0 PM6 (88-91 Civ/CRX Si) to use the P28's Z6 maps and have a vtec output. It's plug and play, no OBD1 conversion required. PM me if you're interested, there are a number of people on this board who have ECUs I've converted.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

ok this is going to be the first time I swap a motor myself and I am not too good with wirring. I also have A 1990 honda civic 4dr auto that already is multi-port. So my question is would it be better to use the ecu and other parts from that car to make the swap go smooth.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

my 89 civic is not multi-port.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

The auto ecu in the 90 four foor should be a PS9...its the auto version of the pm6....My friend put one in his hatch that he just did DPFI<MPFI conversion and it lacks some power in the lower rpm range....if you need anyhelp with the swap....

PM me DOHC crx VTEC

or 89sihatch

and we can work something out