Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

d16y7 CX Idling/revving troubles

Old 02-15-2009, 05:27 PM
mmm babby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these parts
Default d16y7 CX Idling/revving troubles

I have a 97 CX HB, got it from some mexicanos day before christmas. Long story short, I am having trouble with the idling. I replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the mass airflow sensor, and also cleaned the throttle body walls and plate. When I push down on the accelerator a little bit, it goes to 1500 and bounces fast there, and then the more I push down on it slowly, the longer the pauses between the bounces become. Eventually it revs up to 4000 and I can get it to rev as low as 3600 before it goes back down to 1500 and bounces. I'm not sure what the problem is. I just want to bring this car back to DD'ing status. Also, as an added annoyance to the problem, the engine is running really rich. Like it almost burns your eyes rich, but I tweaked the airflow enough to get it so you can faintly smell the fuel. I am wondering if my entire harness is bad.

Sorry for the rambling, any advice would be helpful as this is my first project car !
Old 02-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n
Default Re: d16y7 CX Idling/revving troubles

is it throwing any CEL's?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

vxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to all

verify timing is correct........
Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 PM
mmm babby

Doodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these partsDoodoodc4 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by vxcoastie
verify timing is correct........
Not quite sure what that means ^^

Also, I am not even sure if the CEL light is in haha. I don't see any though.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM
mmm babby

b to the u to the mp.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
mmm babby

No one?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 AM
mmm babby

Day 2, anyone?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Running rich isn't an added annoyance, it's a very clear symptom of whatever is causing the other problem.

Ok, so here's my advice. If it has problems that bad, there is likely a sensor or something that has died. You may not have any CELs, but that may be because the previous owner disconnected the CEL lamp to fool you. Luckily, there is a nice OBD2 connector under the dash, and the codes can be read from there. Then you can start troubleshooting.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Oh, and check the firing order. Make sure the plug wires go to the correct cylinders. You'll laugh, but it is a fairly common problem if you don't know anything about the person who owned the car before you. I've heard of cars that were sold because they ran like crap and the owner didn't want to mess with it anymore, only to find out that the plug wires were bad or in the wrong order.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 AM
mmm babby

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Oh, and check the firing order. Make sure the plug wires go to the correct cylinders. You'll laugh, but it is a fairly common problem if you don't know anything about the person who owned the car before you. I've heard of cars that were sold because they ran like crap and the owner didn't want to mess with it anymore, only to find out that the plug wires were bad or in the wrong order.
You know that might be the problem, there was an MDS Sport ignition in the backseat when I bought the car just sitting there. Maybe they switched it, do I just need to switch the wires? Or is there something more to it?

Quick Reply: d16y7 CX Idling/revving troubles