Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cylinder Head Shave??

Old 10-08-2004, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
junior1643 has disabled reputation
Default Cylinder Head Shave??

I was really thinking about shaving my heads and i know the people that can do it and they will do it for me for cheap but I need to know the tolerance that i can shave off and if it is even worth doing?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike
Default Re: Cylinder Head Shave??

you have to measure for the tolerances and look up specs on your head. there is no universal amount you can take off. if in doubt, clay the motor when assembled.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:15 PM

do you know of a place that i could find specs like that? I dont really have a clue as to where or how to find it.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

First off, why do you want to "shave" your head?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Originally Posted by Campachino
First off, why do you want to "shave" your head?
$20 says he has no idea.

What kind of car is this?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:13 PM

I want to do it because i can get the machineing done for free. I also heard that it actually helps a little bit by raising the compression ratio. But im sure that you know what you are talking about a little bit more than me so suggestions would be alot of help...

99 civic ex
Old 10-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

If you truly trust the machining shop then go for it. Keeping in mind you will always be using higher-octane fuel and if the shop doesn't do it perfetly, you could havea plethora of problems (including, but not limited to, gasxkets not mating correctly causing coolant/oil leaks, un-even compression between cylinders, valves hitting pistons, etc...)

But in theory, it could be done for a decent boost in power. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

With a completely stock engine you should be fine. I assume that we are speaking about a Honda engine?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:36 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

you will not gain a significant amount of power, you just wont, 1-2 hp if that,and you wont feel it, especially if you dont do anything else to the motor to compliment the higher compression, its pretty much a waste of time if you have a stock motor and your gonna "SHAVE" the head and not do anything else........