Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

CTR pistons, in a LS block??

Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Bearded.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO
Exclamation CTR pistons, in a LS block??

i picked up a bone stock LS with 80k miles on it for 120$, and i decided to rebuild it..
here is what i chose.

the block:

-usdm b18b1 block (pressure tested, hot tanked)
-std bore 81mm CTR pistons and wrist pins
-stock LS rods
-micro-polished crank
-ACL bearings
-oem rings
(im debating ARP vs. new OEM rod bolts?)

the head:

-stock LS head, with stock internals
-it has been resurfaced/hot tanked/pressure tested
-arp headstuds

I was wondering since the dome on the CTR pistons, is pretty decent compared to the LS dome, but if i was to use a OEM 3-layer headgasket, would i have any problems with piston-head clearance? i know the safest clearance is around 35-40 thousands, but since im using stock LS rods, and crank the i figured the piston-deck height should be approx the same as the LS pistons. NOW if i knife edge the crank would this make a difference, in the pistons to deck height???

never built a motor before, im all new to it.. i've only done swaps and turbos...no internals.

i am scared to run aftermarket cams, b/c i dont want the valves to smack the pistons, and fuck everything up...i believe if i used a oem HG the CR would be close to 12.0-1?

any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

bLu92bUbbLe has disabled reputation
Default Re: CTR pistons, in a LS block??

bump cuz i wanna throw type r pistons n my ls
Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Bearded.

nobody has any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

KYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud of

Piston to head clearance will be fine. You can clay the head and check the clearance but you will be fine. Obviously your compression will be raised. To fit the pistons on the rods you must shave the wrist pin end of the rod down to fit in the piston.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:42 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i had the exact same setup a few years ago with a ported and polished head. rods have to be modded but its not too expensive for a machine shop to do them, its a fun setup, granted the compression is a bit high for everyday driving and detonation is a big possibility, but its definitely doable if the tune is right. a big cam will probably cause some valve clearance issues with a thin headgasket, but with a oem layer,you should be fine. but i didnt put large cams in the ls head so hopefully some other people have experience putting some big crower cams in a high compression ls will have some input. i then did a vtec head conversion and i never had any issues and the car was even funner.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Bearded.

Originally Posted by KYLE ROSE
Piston to head clearance will be fine. You can clay the head and check the clearance but you will be fine. Obviously your compression will be raised. To fit the pistons on the rods you must shave the wrist pin end of the rod down to fit in the piston.

that has already been accomplished.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Bearded.

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
i had the exact same setup a few years ago with a ported and polished head. rods have to be modded but its not too expensive for a machine shop to do them, its a fun setup, granted the compression is a bit high for everyday driving and detonation is a big possibility, but its definitely doable if the tune is right. a big cam will probably cause some valve clearance issues with a thin headgasket, but with a oem layer,you should be fine. but i didnt put large cams in the ls head so hopefully some other people have experience putting some big crower cams in a high compression ls will have some input. i then did a vtec head conversion and i never had any issues and the car was even funner.

yeah, thats what i was planning on doing, either a OEM 3 layer HG, or a custom thicker cometic HG.

i plan on getting my pr4 tuned on chrome.

im using all OEM valvetrain. everything is LS except for the pistons, and wrist pins.

its basically a all stock rebuild minus the ACL bearings, and pistons.

i hope when i clay the motor i will not be dissappointed.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

superls92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dorko
yeah, thats what i was planning on doing, either a OEM 3 layer HG, or a custom thicker cometic HG.

i plan on getting my pr4 tuned on chrome.

im using all OEM valvetrain. everything is LS except for the pistons, and wrist pins.

its basically a all stock rebuild minus the ACL bearings, and pistons.

i hope when i clay the motor i will not be dissappointed.
I ran Ctr pistons in my ls with crower 404's for a long time. Clearance should be fine.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 PM
VTEC

diggity dave is on a distinguished road

its gunna be fine im tellin you i ran b16(pr3) pistons in the old setup witha shaved head it jumped 7 teeth in the wreck and no valve-piston contact look at my avatar thats some dome son 12.5:1 pistons shaved head i know mine will be ok you have nothing to worry about... i dont think you comp ratio is going to be 12:1 im thinkin like nothing over 11:5 maybe a lil lower mine will prob be like 12.8:1 and my pistons come to a point.

ps> run the arp rod bolts its worth it they are cheap too if you wanna rev a little higher

how much was ur head shaved?