Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Crossed Jumpers Cables, Code thrown...

Old 09-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REXsi90 has disabled reputation
Default Crossed Jumpers Cables, Code thrown...

Hey Guys,

First off, I did not do it...

I am attending the Virginia Military Institute as a rat this year, and I left my CRX with my parents. I just finished a mini-me (z6 head on an a6 block) swap before I left. My mom left the lights on while she was at work, and whoever the f**k tried to jump the car put the cables on backwards. Luckily, nothing too awful happened. The car blew a fuse, so my mom called AAA. The guy replaced the fuse and then towed the car home. When my Dad looked at it, he was able to jump it but now a check engine code is being thrown. He does not know how to read it, and it might be a few days before my friend can come look at it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened? I will post more information as soon as I find out what code it is, but I was hoping to get some input from someone who might have heard of this happening before...

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Crossed Jumpers Cables, Code thrown...

I know exactly what happened. Polarity was reversed, and something got destroyed. This is often protected against on the big electronics, but sometimes there are parasitic current paths go ground that can easily damage an ECU or something like that. Reverse polarity is never a good thing. It's possible that one of the sensors that gets direct battery voltage could have got damaged also, tough to tell because every car model has different electronics and those electronics are protected differently and susceptible to damage in different ways.

Once the code is read you'll be able to tell more. Luckily everything is easily replaceable if it's been destroyed. This stuff gives me nightmares though, you can be as careful as you want with your own car and then someone can randomly fuck it up for you (whoever jumped it in this case).
Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered member

REXsi90 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Crossed Jumpers Cables, Code thrown...

Tell me about it man. I spent way too much money on that car before I left for this shit to happen to me.