Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cracked Anti-theft lug nut... EASIEST WAY TO REMOVE! Safe to drive on??

Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1
Default Cracked Anti-theft lug nut... EASIEST WAY TO REMOVE! Safe to drive on??

NA Miata anti theft lug nut, I was tightening it by hand using my tire iron when I installed the other new lug. When it slipped and fell, I saw it was cracked, so then I tried to remove it and before I even broke tension it cracked again.

Is it safe to drive on at the moment? Or no? It's only damaged on the outside part but I don't want to risk anything.

Whats the easiest way to get this off?

TIA...

Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass
Default Re: Cracked Anti-theft lug nut... EASIEST WAY TO REMOVE! Safe to drive on??

If it was 5 lug, I'd have no problem saying fuck it, you can drive on 4 lugs and no fifth one at all. This ones is a little more sketch so I'm hesitant to say. Still, I'd guess you will be fine but I'd recommend fixing it ASAP.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Anal hammer

JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal
Default Re: Cracked Anti-theft lug nut... EASIEST WAY TO REMOVE! Safe to drive on??

Probably safe to drive to a repair or short distance.

For removal
Heat and a chisel.
Heat the nut to get it to expand so it's not so tight.
Once you've got it hot take a decent sized hammer and chisel.
If possible cut a groove into it and back it off slowly until it will free spin.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:57 PM
1505/2000

execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon

Looks semi safe to drive..
I'd take the key and remove the rest of the locks, then weld the key to the cracked lug nut and remove it.. Done this numerous times.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:24 AM
Sheeeit

Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch

There is a socket you can buy that is made for taring these things off with an impact....I just can't remember the name of them.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 AM
buzzkillington

king TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these partsking TUT is infamous around these parts

I think they're called turbo sockets

Edit: yeah thats the name cut a slit on the the nut stick the socket in there and drive it out

Last edited by king TUT; 06-25-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That's a high quality part right there.

If the nut is not loose, then it's fine to drive on for short distances. The threaded area looks to be intact, and it appears that the only cracked area is the bore where the lug key mates to it. That's going to be fun getting that off though, because the rest of it is going to break away and leave you with a shallow nut on the stud most likely.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Registered member

PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's a high quality part right there.

If the nut is not loose, then it's fine to drive on for short distances. The threaded area looks to be intact, and it appears that the only cracked area is the bore where the lug key mates to it. That's going to be fun getting that off though, because the rest of it is going to break away and leave you with a shallow nut on the stud most likely.
I'm thinking two things.... JB weld the outside cracks and then remove it normally?

Or get a normal socket onto it and hammer it on, then remove it with a ratchet. This way the cracked bore area will be surrounded so I think it should be fine and not break apart
Old 06-25-2014, 09:20 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Air chisel. Just smack it once and it'll loosen up. We do the all time at work.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:40 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Quick Reply: Cracked Anti-theft lug nut... EASIEST WAY TO REMOVE! Safe to drive on??