Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

compression and boost.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 PM
DITB-AHHH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these parts
Default compression and boost.

so i keep hearing different things with compression and turbo, some say the lower the better some say not so..... my compression is 9-1 right now with a 42. a/r 48. exhaust ball bearing turbo... i was talking to a guy at a shop about it and he said since i have a smaller turbo i could go a little higher compression 11-1 to make more power.

sounded iffy to me cause i thought higher compression was bad for turbo cars.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)
Default Re: compression and boost.

google
Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
DITB-AHHH

Corbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these partsCorbzin is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by I Love (.)(.)
google
vadriven>google>yahoo
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You have a turbo. If you want more power turn up the boost, or get a bigger turbo, or make sure everything like the intercooler works as well as it should.

In general though, high compression ratios are pretty risky for turbo use, yes.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Just as Fabrik8 said, especially about making sure everything is to specs. That includes all vac hoses, engine gaskets, spark plugs, seals, cooling lines, oil lines, etc..., as they are all integral to a properly running turbo. All this should be checked and/or replaced prior to tinkering with the turbo, no exceptions. If you start feeding more boost into a system that is only marginally at factory specs or worse, you will quickly develop additional problems like:

1: Overheating
2: Gasket failure (especially head gaskets)
3: Split/blown hoses or lines
4: Spark detonation from lean running mixtures or poor timing
5: Other engine issues all the way up to catastrophic fail.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Registered Member

erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02

Corbzin, you should pick up a copy of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. A higher compression ratio will have higher combustion temperatures and make more power on the same amount of boost, however if combustion temperatures get to high you will get what is known as pinging. A lower compression ratio will be substantially easier to have tuned, and cheaper for you in the long run.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Registered Member

Mindless is an unknown quantity at this point

Tune tune tune.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 AM
DITB-AHHH

alright cool thanks guys, it wasnt the hp really it was the off the line power i was trying to get.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM
certified asshole

crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi

Originally Posted by Mindless
Tune tune tune.
+1
Its all about the tune, but with the right tune 10-11:1 is not bad for turbo. Just lower compression is safer, especially running pump gas. Keeping the compression up will help with off/low boost power, but like I said running on pump with higher than normal compression wouldn't be the best for boost.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

laserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these parts

9:1 is fine for boost.

The smart way to tune is to log each run with a wideband A/F reading and monitor knock while adjusting boost, fuel trim and timing.

The easy way. Log a few runs turning up boost with each run, when you start to knock, turn back boost a little.

Quick Reply: compression and boost.