Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Compression?

Old 09-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Team Ultraspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation
Default Re: Compression?

No, use the STOCK HONDA three layer. Although a one layer sometimes works, it is better insurance to go with the three layer. With a three layer and CTR slugs you will still be 12:1 before messing with one layers, milled heads or custom rod lenghts.

Always...always...ALWAYS use Honda parts!!!
Old 09-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

steronz steronz steronz steronz steronz

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...c/compcalc.php

play around with that, i think ctr pistons would probably be good with a stock head gasket.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:15 AM
The Logical One

2-Logicl is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used that several times I just didn't know what a "safe" compression level was... Well I know there was debate as far as the B16 pistons on all of these compression calculators but I only got an 11.6 c/r.....

Last edited by 2-Logicl; 09-05-2005 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Anything up to 12.5:1cr is safe on pump gas...if tuned.
For Cali boys, the "safe"...if there is such a thing...is around 11.5:1 for 91 oct

Remember that compression calculators are only to give you a ball park cr#. It's not to be taken literally. Cams, milled/decking, and porting also play a part in compression.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:38 AM
The Logical One

I didn't know that vams and porting mattered.... I that it was just something to do with the space in between the valves and cylinders hmmm.... learn something new every day.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:21 AM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

i know its a honda power plant and you can rev them to high heaven but the higher you rev your engine its not a linear level of stress your putting on it. a 500 rpm difference at 9k rpm vs. 7k rpm will produce much higher stress levels on your engine. cars that live at those rpms ususally get broken down after every few events for over hauling, granted this is done to maintain those peak hp levels, its also to inspect for hair line fractures and replace worn bearings and rings. also when reving that high you produce A LOT of heat, upgrading the cooling system and a using higher weight oil is something you also want to consider.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:24 AM
The Logical One

awesome thanks... Well I was just saying that the cams can handle 10000 rpms... I was planning on keeping it around 9000 at most I don't like risking that much because I am dropping a shitload of money and just to pretty much be able to say I can rev the piss out of my engine is not worth it especially since I would probably be producing HO without torque which you can have as much HP as you want but without any torque you are just making noise....
Old 09-05-2005, 12:30 PM

1nasty_eg has disabled reputation

12.5:1 is not the highest you can go on pump gas. I have seen cars up to 13.5:1 on pump gas(tuned). Go w/ the CTR pistons. The itr's are not that great for compression. Stage 2 cams are great, half street/half race, the only problem is stock compression is not usally goin to cut it when it comes to low end power. That is where the ctrs will come in. My buddy with a usdm gsr with ctr pistons and ls crank and rods, and a few other things ran a 7.70 in 1/8 pulling a z06 vette. NO cams in it. The car was nasty. If your doing a budget build, and you wanna make some power, check out honda tech. Search around for streetable cams anf C/r for what you plan on doing. If I were you I would stick to 3 layer OEM HONDA gasket, Ctr pistons, some streetable cams, and upgraded valvetrain.
I have a built single cam w/ a stage 2 crower cam. It makes good power built I still do not have spring and retainers. So around 8500 it valve floats, but I make all the power I need around 8000 so I'm fine. Stock valvetrain is usually ok on a stage 2 cam, for sohc anyway(trust me on this). ON a dual cam I have heard more problems with dropping valves ,etc. so I am NOT recommending to stay with oe valve springs and retainers. My motor is just something I'm playin with while I am tryin to finish my k20a swap.
But good luck on your build. Search around and see what other people are doing and how their setups do. That should help you get an idea of what you really wanna do on your setup.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:19 PM
The Logical One

Thanks I already have the stage 2 cams and upgraded valvetrain I just need the pistons... What is the deal with the LS crank and rods I have decided I am going for the CTR pistons.... now I just gotta fund them but what performance gains do you get from the LS Crank and rods?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:21 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic

Originally Posted by 2-Logicl
Thanks I already have the stage 2 cams and upgraded valvetrain I just need the pistons... What is the deal with the LS crank and rods I have decided I am going for the CTR pistons.... now I just gotta fund them but what performance gains do you get from the LS Crank and rods?
hehehe, my friends use to call me the devil, for other reasons but i have CTR pistons,,

why don't you just use my block, it already has the ctr pistons in it & only has maybe 2k miles on it tops... just get some new valve seals in your head & slap it on & go!!!

Last edited by slowb20civic; 09-05-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Compression?