Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Coilovers?!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
`hatch-n has disabled reputation
Default Coilovers?!

I have a 99 si.
I was going to get skunk2 coilovers to drop the car
but I heard they bounce really bad.
Someone suggested ground control coilovers
and a few people suggested coilovers and aftermarket shocks.
Is there any way to get the coilovers to stop bouncing as much?
I really dont have the money for coilovers and shocks.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

toyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Coilovers?!

I think your a little confused about the terms. "Coilovers" are springs and shocks in one unit. I think your referring to springs. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Previously Odyssey

Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime

Or he could be thinking of coilover sleeves.
\/

Just get real coilovers.
\/

Last edited by Odysseus Prime; 03-09-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

200$

Just get real coilovers.
\/
800+$

But if your stock struts are trash you might as well get the coilovers
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Aftermarket shocks should help the bouncing. If you increase the spring rate, the stock shocks usually can't damp a stiffer spring well enough and will cause bouncing.

Also, if the springs are the same (or close to the same) spring rate on the front and the rear, you'll get some really bad see-sawing when you go over a bump. I have no idea what the spring rate on the Skunk2s is, but I would be really surprised if Skunk2 had that problem. And before anyone starts to say anything about the spring rate on an adjustable spring like the Skunk2 changing with ride height, no. Doesn't work that way. I don't know where that myth started, but it's wrong.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Previously Odyssey

Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime

Originally Posted by jebsurf
200$

Just get real coilovers.
\/
800+$

Lols. I new someone was going to say something along those lines.

Just save up and get a higher quality product.

Last edited by Odysseus Prime; 03-09-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

For street driving, sleeved springs and a set of good Konis or KYBs will last longer and work almost as well as an integrated coilover set. You won't get a spring and damper that are as well matched as the integrated coilovers, but I don't believe that you're getting a very well matched coilover setup for under about $1500 anyway. Cheap coilovers usually aren't anywhere near as durable as an off the shelf KYB or Koni OEM replacement strut. Look around the Honda boards for the horror stories that people have with sub-$1000 coilovers; replacements, rebuilds, and switching brands are a way of life. You can never go wrong with a good set of non-adjustable springs and good struts too; you won't have the height adjustment but you won't have any of the sleeve slapping or coil binding issues that come with adjustable sleeved springs either. There are tons of brands out there for Hondas, pick something decent and you can't go wrong. If you're really interested in the nuts and bolts of suspension setup, there are spreadsheets floating around the Honda forums that have most of the spring brands and models with their drop heights and spring rates listed.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-09-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Originally Posted by Odyssey
Lols. I new someone was going to say something along those lines.

Just save up and get a higher quality product.
+1
Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Previously Odyssey

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
For street driving, sleeved springs and a set of good Konis or KYBs will last longer and work almost as well as an integrated coilover set. You won't get a spring and damper that are as well matched as the integrated coilovers, but I don't believe that you're getting a very well matched coilover setup for under about $1500 anyway. Cheap coilovers usually aren't anywhere near as durable as an off the shelf KYB or Koni OEM replacement strut.
This is true. I guess this all depends on what the OP is planning on doing with his car.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Slow EG8 has disabled reputation

groundcontrol coilovers.groundcontrol tophats.koni yellows struts.=dumpeddd and good ride.

if your on a budget...i heard of people saying dropzonestruts and coilovers are decent....never had em or rhode em on my own though.

skunk2 slip on coilovers has different spring rates.

omni slip on rides good too.

Quick Reply: Coilovers?!