Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Coated Pistons vs Uncoated

Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Coated Pistons vs Uncoated

Ordering my forged pistons, have the option between uncoated and ceramic coated (top and skirts). Coating option is another $250. Going into a boosted 3800 on 22lbs. Should I opt for it or is it another gimmick? Tech articles would be appreciated. Thanks,
Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22
Default Re: Coated Pistons vs Uncoated

What kind of coating? Its not a gimmick, but it might not be worth it
Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...ech/index.html

http://www.engineceramics.com/coating_pistons.htm

http://www.performancecoatings.com/enginecoatings.html

Bottom line: ceramic coating adds heat protection and aids in distributing heat evenly.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thermal
Correct.
http://www.hpcoatings.com
http://www.techlinecoatings.com

There is a tech line authorized shop in Hopewell, VA. The cost would be far less to have the skirts moly coated there, and the tops ceramic coated there, after you buy the pistons. Not to mention, the quality would likely exceed the OEM piston manufacturer, who sends them to Jet-Hot, in large batches, in a hurry to get them back! And, Tech Line coatings are guaranteed for a LONG time. Free replacement of the coating for 10 or 20 years.........

There's a lot of other parts (especially in a turbo motor) that will benefit greatly from ceramic coatings, as well as moly coatings!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Be careful with who you pick. Alot of places will coat pistons, but only few are truely good at it. I've used Polydyn for years and will never go anywhere else. They only charge around $30 a piston.
I even had them coat my crank and rods...which are not necessary, but what the hell!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
Be careful with who you pick. Alot of places will coat pistons, but only few are truely good at it. I've used Polydyn for years and will never go anywhere else. They only charge around $30 a piston.
I even had them coat my crank and rods...which are not necessary, but what the hell!
Where is Polydyn?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
Tech Line, if you call them, will give you a list of "authorized" shops. Odds are, Polydyn, is one of them. They supply 95% of the coatings in the industry!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

DarkGSR is an unknown quantity at this point

The coating is def worth the money and time spent on it.
I had mine coated when I did my All-Motor Build and I do not regret it at all. Took me more time to save for it since I am not rich, but money well spent in my opinion. All the reasons have been said but I'm just X2'ing from personal exp. =)
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by DarkGSR
The coating is def worth the money and time spent on it.
I had mine coated when I did my All-Motor Build and I do not regret it at all. Took me more time to save for it since I am not rich, but money well spent in my opinion. All the reasons have been said but I'm just X2'ing from personal exp. =)
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Fuck Tech Line, it's the other 5% of the suppliers I'm interested in.

Go with Swain Tech...

Or Zircotec, but they're in the UK and cost a bit of money. Arguably they're one of the best ceramic coating companies in the world though. Plasma spray deposition FTW!

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-03-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Coated Pistons vs Uncoated