Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Clunking ?

Old 01-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Turbo VTEC-E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black6gen can only hope to improve
Question Clunking ?

Ok, I have a 2002 Explorer w/97K that seems to "clunk" real hard sometimes as it is going into gear. It only happens once in a while when i am accelerating to the speed limit and come off of the gas. Then I get the "clunk". I have googeled it and checked a few forums and alot of people have had kind of the same problem and have been advised to check the u-joints.

I am coming here with this question because i have been working mostly with FWD imports and don't know much about RWD or 4WD. Any info or advice would be greatly apriciated

Last edited by black6gen; 01-01-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Clunking ?

Originally Posted by black6gen
Ok, I have a 2002 Explorer w/97K that seems to "clunk" real hard sometimes as it is going into gear. It only happens once in a while when i am accelerating to the speed limit and come off of the gas. Then I get the "clunk". I have googeled it and checked a few forums and alot of people have had kind of the same problem and have been advised to check the u-joints.

I am coming here with this question because i have been working mostly with FWD imports and don't know much about RWD or 4WD. Any info or advice would be greatly apriciated

Well most of the time,that "clunking" noise you hear is from the differential/driveshaft area. Im not even going to assume and tell you what it is,but my car does it all the time. Its nothing bad,unless its SUPER loud,then you might want to start checking the fluid in your diff,and your u joints.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Ramey Built

JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt

Originally Posted by Murda'dOut4V
Well most of the time,that "clunking" noise you hear is from the differential/driveshaft area. Im not even going to assume and tell you what it is,but my car does it all the time. Its nothing bad,unless its SUPER loud,then you might want to start checking the fluid in your diff,and your u joints.

how is it not bad? if it's making a noise it's not supposed to then you should probably try and fix it. it's better to fix it now then to wait until it gets worse and possible cause more problems. i, personally, would try and fix it.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

Ok so when i go to check my u joints what exactly should i be looking for?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JB@RameyBuilt
how is it not bad? if it's making a noise it's not supposed to then you should probably try and fix it. it's better to fix it now then to wait until it gets worse and possible cause more problems. i, personally, would try and fix it.
Umm because for Cobra's it is a commonly known issue that "Cant" be fixed. Not all cars are the same,and mine is no different from that fact.

If you do research, a LOT of RWD cars make the "clunking" noise when you put it into gear,or at random times of acceleration,due to the u joints,driveshaft,or the bushings mounted to the diff.

Judging by the fact that you rep ramey built,and mr. ramey deals with FWD hondas, I would assume you definitely wouldnt really be too experienced with RWD V8 vehicles,that deal with driveshafts,u joints, solid rear axles, Independent rear suspensions,etc.

I didnt tell him not to worry about it,but ive been in MANY cars (including a G35) that makes the "Clunk" noise,and guess what? They were all rear wheel drive. So ill say it again,if the noise is louder than normal,or feels abnormal,he should check it out. But given the fact that its a ford explorer (ive driven hundreds of those too,they make clunking diff noises as well),I wouldnt worry about it being a big issue.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Originally Posted by black6gen
Ok so when i go to check my u joints what exactly should i be looking for?
You should be looking for a lot of play in your driveshaft first. Try to rotate your driveshaft back and forth. If it moves a lot,then you will check the wear on your u joints. A driveshaft should have minimal shaft play when trying to rotate it with a human hand. Make sure none are broken,or have grease build up around them showing wear.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

You should be looking for a lot of play in your driveshaft first. Try to rotate your driveshaft back and forth. If it moves a lot,then you will check the wear on your u joints. A driveshaft should have minimal shaft play when trying to rotate it with a human hand. Make sure none are broken,or have grease build up around them showing wear.
Cool, thats what i figured. Thanx for the help. Ill check it out and update with what i found.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Do you notice at all when you're turning? Slow sharp turns, like parking in a crowded parking lot?

That would help pin point the diff a little more. If it is that just change the diff fluid.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
Do you notice at all when you're turning? Slow sharp turns, like parking in a crowded parking lot?

That would help pin point the diff a little more. If it is that just change the diff fluid.
Nope. Just sometimes when i am accelerating an come off of the gas to maintain a speed.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Turbo VTEC-E

Well drive shaft seems to be pretty secure and there is no excesive gresse or fluid any where. Now how do i check the diff. fluid?

Quick Reply: Clunking ?