Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cleaning the Engine bay

Old 11-14-2002, 06:49 PM
Drag757.com Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G32BTurbo G32BTurbo
Default Cleaning the Engine bay

A couple months ago i had a little fun in the mud and now theres dust and dirt covering most of the stuff under the hood. How do i clean the engine bay? Can i just take it to the carwash and power spray it? Is there anything i should cover? These a lot of gunk around some things too.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

drifter is an unknown quantity at this point

i generally use gunk engine degreaser and spray it off...then use engine detailer...works wonders....dont forget to cover your intake...and also a tiny bit of water might get into your combustion chambers through the spark plug area and may cause hesitation...it goes away after about 15 min.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:01 PM
///m thrizzle

trip has disabled reputation

just dont let water sit where your plugs are, other than that you should be ok.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:21 PM
Madison Motorsports

96gsr will become famous soon enough

Get a rag and some "simple green" and spray simple green on the rag and scrub down your engine when the engine is cold. It works great.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:53 AM

brcivic411 is an unknown quantity at this point

although you really don't need to do it, if you want to be careful, cover up your distributor also with a plastic bag. simple green works the best i think.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:22 AM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Engine Detail

Yeah, the gunk engine degreaser works very well, but if dirt and grime are coated on heavily you may find yourself needing a metail wire brush and a plastic wire brush ( for metal and plastic parts under the hood) Meguairs was works really well under the hood, because it's so reflective you can see the shine in the shade in there. Great sentence structure I know. The CD-2 engine detailer is FUCKING AWESOME, never used anything better. The only two places I know of that sell it are Auto Zone and yes K-mart. Good luck my man.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:00 AM
INCONCEIVABLE!

MeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to all

And when you cover your intake, dont forget to take it off before you start the car, i have forgoten twice and it fucks your intake up, it imploads from the suction. I just power wash my engine at one of those quater car wash things so no oil in the drive way at home
Old 11-15-2002, 08:28 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

freind took black magic tire spray and spray it on everything under the hood while the engine was cold then ran water over it almost immediately. havent had a single problem and everything has a nice glossy shine to it.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:46 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

I use orange clean and then lightly spray it with engine detailer. I wipe the valve cover off with a rag and the orange clean but otherwise I just spay it on a warm engine, let it sit, and rinse it off. I try not to get any water on the intake or the alternator. This is what it looks like:
Old 11-15-2002, 11:17 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

watch your fusebox also

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Engine bay