Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

cleaning egr ports

Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boostedteg has disabled reputation
Default cleaning egr ports

i have a 92 accord, the problem is when you start it up in the morning it keeps wanting to cut off, and every once in a while when your driving down the road, the car hesitates extremely bad, i talked to a honda tech and he told me that accord have a problem with the egr ports getting clogged, my question is, does anyone know a website or atleast where any info is on exactly how to do this, any helf is greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

toyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: cleaning egr ports

That kind of doesn't make any sense. The EGR recirculates exhaust gases to keep the temp up for a clean burn from what I understand of it. It's not really necessary for the car to run. I might be wrong, though. I've disabled my EGR and my car runs fine. It might be something else wrong with it. Maybe you should get a second opinion. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered member

ok, ill do that, but still looking for some info on how to clean the ports guys, thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

toyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the rough

It should be strait forward to clean it out. I don't know about your car, but just make sure the hoses going to the EGR are cleaned out and the vacuum modulator and valves are also clean and have good seals and filters. But like I said, I don't know how your EGR operates, so it may not be the same. Look for it on your intake manifold. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

spitzbergen has disabled reputation

I had a bad EGR valve on one of my Neons. Car ran fine w/ the exception of a CEL. Took it off and cleaned it out w/ some intake cleaner. Your problem sounds like something else...
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM

slamd_s_dyme has disabled reputation

The car should run just fine even if the egr stopped up. Most of the time if the egr is clogged or even restricted it will trigger the CEL. Its easy to clean though and can be done with any type of intake/carb cleaner and a little elbow grease. Sounds to me like the problem lies somewhere other than the egr but it doesnt hurt to clean it out and se what happens.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 PM
notched

Colt45 will become famous soon enough

http://www.freewebs.com/hondadude/95...5AccordEGR.htm

Heres a good site to guide you in cleaning, but its for a 95 accord. It may be different on yours.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 PM
INNOVATIVE AUTO INC.

Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg Gold Eg

Originally Posted by boostedteg
ok, ill do that, but still looking for some info on how to clean the ports guys, thanks
there is an "egr pipe kit" we sell at peninsula honda which comes with all needed o perform this. we do it daily, it does come with an egr valve and gasket too. drilling of port banks on the runners of the im is required though. this is a very common issue with these cars!!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Gold Eg
there is an "egr pipe kit" we sell at peninsula honda which comes with all needed o perform this. we do it daily, it does come with an egr valve and gasket too. drilling of port banks on the runners of the im is required though. this is a very common issue with these cars!!
thanks exactly what i was looking to hear
Old 05-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Colt45
http://www.freewebs.com/hondadude/95...5AccordEGR.htm

Heres a good site to guide you in cleaning, but its for a 95 accord. It may be different on yours.
thats a big help, THANKS