Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

civic brake upgrade, which route would you go.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:32 PM
ahhhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute
Default civic brake upgrade, which route would you go.

I know there are a few kits out there to upgrade your stock civic front brakes, but I would like to hear which option you would chose, and why?

http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=179 for $500

http://www.wilwood.com/Centers/Infor.../civic9099.asp

http://www.baer.com/baer/data/200508...ationGuide.pdf

buy all remanufactured parts? http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...aliper&ptset=A

or would you go to a junkyard and waste a bunch of time searching for all the parts you need?

feel free to add to the list of vendors

Last edited by split; 01-29-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower
Default Re: civic brake upgrade, which route would you go.

I would upgrade to Integra brakes, thats all you will need.

edit: I see now thats what fastbrakes basically is, they just added useless slotted and drilled rotors and are asking WAY TO MUCH.

Last edited by MaxPower; 01-28-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:42 AM
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda

I agree, just do an integra rear disk conversion. Then you can do the rotors/pads/lines you want as you are putting them in.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Str8EJ has disabled reputation

actually, the fastbrakes kit uses an 11" rotor, as opposed to the integra's/si's 10.2" rotor. it's a great upgrade for the dx knuckle - which uses the smaller 9.75" (?) rotor. the kit allows you to upsize the rotor and use it with an integra caliper & dx brake hose.

i've had both the fastbrakes kit and the integra brakes on my car. i can tell you first hand that there's a huge difference in braking between the two thanks to the larger swept area of the 11" vs. 10.2" rotor. an added bonus is that they will fit behind 15" rotas and most 15" oe wheels. with the other kits, you may have to buy larger wheels, too.

the worst option is going to the junkyard. you never know what you'll end up with.

also, slotted rotors are not a waste of money. cross-drilled - i don't know...never used them.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Str8EJ
actually, the fastbrakes kit uses an 11" rotor, as opposed to the integra's/si's 10.2" rotor. it's a great upgrade for the dx knuckle - which uses the smaller 9.75" (?) rotor. the kit allows you to upsize the rotor and use it with an integra caliper & dx brake hose.

i've had both the fastbrakes kit and the integra brakes on my car. i can tell you first hand that there's a huge difference in braking between the two thanks to the larger swept area of the 11" vs. 10.2" rotor. an added bonus is that they will fit behind 15" rotas and most 15" oe wheels. with the other kits, you may have to buy larger wheels, too.

the worst option is going to the junkyard. you never know what you'll end up with.

also, slotted rotors are not a waste of money. cross-drilled - i don't know...never used them.
I agree 100%

The Fastbrakes kit is the way to go in my opinion. When my front pads need replacing I will be going with the same kit.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:49 PM
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by idriveahonda
I agree, just do an integra rear disk conversion. Then you can do the rotors/pads/lines you want as you are putting them in.
I guess I should have been more clear, I meant front brakes.
Originally Posted by Str8EJ
actually, the fastbrakes kit uses an 11" rotor, as opposed to the integra's/si's 10.2" rotor. it's a great upgrade for the dx knuckle - which uses the smaller 9.75" (?) rotor. the kit allows you to upsize the rotor and use it with an integra caliper & dx brake hose....
so you need the DX brake hose and not the si/integra?
Originally Posted by ZEROpsi
I agree 100%
The Fastbrakes kit is the way to go in my opinion. When my front pads need replacing I will be going with the same kit.
and you already have the rear disk on your coupe, correct? That brings me to my next question, since most of the stopping power is from the front brakes do you think the fastbrakes kit would be sufficient enough with drums in the rear?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Str8EJ has disabled reputation

bigger brakes in the front and drums in the back will perform fine. won't look very cool - but will work fine. if you go this route, please don't paint your drums yellow.

i used the fastbrakes kit for a dx and it allowed use of the stock brake lines. their website lists a kit for the ex/si, also. you may want to call them ask for brian hasty - the owner. nice guy. he prototyped these kits, all by himself, many years ago and can provide more silly details than i'm capable of.

i have a fastbrakes kit i might sell, if any of you guys is looking. got the front and the rear, actually. don't know if they still sell the rear kit (12" rotor with stock caliper).

(booster/mc and prop valve will need upgrading if you decide to go disk/disk.)
Old 01-31-2006, 04:30 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

call gray @millennium he just did a willwood kit on his civic.