Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

cat. converter gone bad???

Old 02-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sive ick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cat. converter gone bad???

ok so me jeremey(dang yo) and michael(smokelessef) were all coming back from the beach and we see some girls so me and michael in my jetta speed up and when i get to about 80 the car just dies??it was running perfectly before this except a check engine light due to running rich(car didnt smoke which is why its hard to decide if the cat is clogged with oil or not.. so got it towed home after jeremey pointed out that its my ignition coil cause it wasnt getting spark

so i go and buy a ignition coil,cap and rotor,plugs and plug wires just to get it all done at once,so i get it all on and now the car will start get to about 500-600 rpm then immediatly dies,if i give it gas it bogs and still dies..

so is this a sign of a clogged cat or just the fireing order wrong(i got it out of the haynes manual)

also is there a way to check other than pulling the cat off of the car,thanks,and btw its a 97 jetta that i was trying to sell,wtf is up with that
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0
Default Re: cat. converter gone bad???

the only way that a cat can just "go bad" is if it gets clogged, and if it gets clogged, then it will get hot. even to the point where i know people that got pulled over on the interstate because it was glowing bright red underneath the car at night. unbolt it and start bangin that bitch, if carbon doesnt start coming out, then its not that. GL
Old 02-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

well i thought it was the cat being clogged,but guess not,its something to do with the ignition system (dizzy,plugs,ignition coil)
Old 02-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

if you replaced all your ignition system thus far, then its more than likely safe to bet that all that is fine. but you said your friend pointed out that your coil wasnt getting spark before you replaced anything. does it have spark now? if not then follow the wires back to the actual ignition module, make sure the wires and connections are fine. if you can confirm that your ignition system and all the wires and connections are fine, then its a short somewhere else, or a sensor or electrical "device" on the motor is acting up.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

well like it gets spark,it starts but wont stay running like the timing is off but i never touched that

and now it sounds like something is bouncing around in it,but all i messed with was the dizzy and plugs etc etc,im not sure if the dizzy is '180d' out but i hope thats all it is,it was running perfect till all of this
Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

If you can get your hands on a heat gun (not exactly sure what the actual name is, but it measures tempature without touching) then measure the heat before the cat, then after. The exhaust tempature should be hotter immedietly AFTER the cat (i think its about a 10 percent increase). Yes catalitic converters can go bad without being clogged, it dosnt happen often but it still happens. We have a 2002 dodge stratus at school and its cat dosnt work, and its not clogged.

Last edited by Muncher; 02-26-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:37 AM
PJ2
Registered Member

PJ2

A clogged cat won't kill an engine like that, it will make it slow but not kill it. You didn't remove the distributor itself did you? Check your Air flow meter and make sure the connector didn't come loose and check for vacuum leaks between that and the intake manifold.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

yes i removed the dizzy,but set put it back in as the manual said,but i forgot to plug it in,stupid yes,so when i went to crank it over it back fired and wouldnt start,so i thought it was the plugs,went and removed them and to find out their CHAMPION! and seeing how champion are for american made cars? it stripped my head where the spark plugs go,got a spark plug helicoil kit and today it started and idled but when i went to rev it not even past 5 grand guess what shot out of the block???yes the spark plug,so then the car cut off,althought it was running as it was before all of this untill the sparl plug came out so i know that the motor is not bad,just the spark plug hole.....so im going to try another helicoil kit and get some adhesive for it and if that doesnt work im going to save up and get put a head on it.......

and come to find out after tinkering with it i had the ignition timing off,fixed that,which lead to it starting,running and shooting a spark plug

if anyone wants the car to swap heads or get the spark plug hole re-drilled etc etc
i would like to get 800 for it thats 1200 less than i paid and its blue booked at 5000+

Last edited by sive ick; 02-27-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sive ick
yes i removed the dizzy,but set put it back in as the manual said,but i forgot to plug it in,stupid yes,so when i went to crank it over it back fired and wouldnt start,so i thought it was the plugs,went and removed them and to find out their CHAMPION! and seeing how champion are for american made cars? it stripped my head where the spark plugs go,got a spark plug helicoil kit and today it started and idled but when i went to rev it not even past 5 grand guess what shot out of the block???yes the spark plug,so then the car cut off,althought it was running as it was before all of this untill the sparl plug came out so i know that the motor is not bad,just the spark plug hole.....so im going to try another helicoil kit and get some adhesive for it and if that doesnt work im going to save up and get put a head on it.......

and come to find out after tinkering with it i had the ignition timing off,fixed that,which lead to it starting,running and shooting a spark plug

if anyone wants the car to swap heads or get the spark plug hole re-drilled etc etc
i would like to get 800 for it thats 1200 less than i paid and its blue booked at 5000+
You want $800 for the car?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Banned

fix it all i ahd the firing order wrong,when it came out of the haynes manual??!!

tinkered with that for a minute and got it to start,and idle fine then i revd it and it shot a spark plug at me

Quick Reply: cat. converter gone bad???