Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car will not start.....help!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough
Default Car will not start.....help!

I just finished turboing my 99 civic. The motor is a jdm b20 with a peakboost turbo kit, tuned on chrome. I also just installed a ls transmission. Well tonight was the night to start it up, turned the key.....nothing happened. No cranking or anything. I hear the fuel pump turn on, when I turn the key the radio cuts off but the rest of the lights stay on. I went to my integra and tried to simulate the problem. If I don't press the clutch and turn the key, the same thing happens. I don't understand why the clutch isn't engaging since I never took the clutch off. Any suggestions to what could be causing this would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Car will not start.....help!

Originally Posted by cleanEK
I just finished turboing my 99 civic. The motor is a jdm b20 with a peakboost turbo kit, tuned on chrome. I also just installed a ls transmission. Well tonight was the night to start it up, turned the key.....nothing happened. No cranking or anything. I hear the fuel pump turn on, when I turn the key the radio cuts off but the rest of the lights stay on. I went to my integra and tried to simulate the problem. If I don't press the clutch and turn the key, the same thing happens. I don't understand why the clutch isn't engaging since I never took the clutch off. Any suggestions to what could be causing this would be great.

Thanks in advance.
there is a plug on the top of the clutch pedal that pushes in the clutch switch...make sure it hasnt fell out...if it has the clutch switch wont push in and it wont crank...

in short,the car doesnt know your pushing the clutch in
Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 PM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

IN park, parking brake on, jump the starter solenoid. If it starts-then you know its an ignition or safety switch (see clutch above), or park/neutral switch ect...
Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Previously Odyssey

Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime

A: Is the starter grounded properly?
B: Is the fuse for the starter blown?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Registered member

cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough

Clutch switch is good

Park? Its a manual trans.

Yes and no.

Sorry for not quoting my vadriven mobile is kicking my ass.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Previously Odyssey

Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime

Clutch switch is good

Park? Its a manual trans.

Yes and no.

Sorry for not quoting my vadriven mobile is kicking my ass.
is the main power properly connected to the starter?

lol

And no worries. Easily understood it.

edit.....was the engine working (and wired) in the car before adding turboooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

Last edited by Odysseus Prime; 08-28-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Registered member

Yes the motor was fine, clutch was fine. I got a trans from my friend which also worked great.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Registered member

I'm starting to believe its the clutch, I jacked it and put it in gear and the wheels still rolled with no problem......gay
Old 08-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Previously Odyssey

I some what misinterpreted your OP.

well damn...

I've heard that there is a recall for the ignition switches on certain 99 civics.
Maybe yours decided to say fuck you?

I know you said it's good, but did you check the clutch switch with a DMM and verify that voltage goes through it when you close the connection?
Maybe it went bad somehow between before and after installs?

If so, bypass the switch temporarily to see if that solves the problem.

EDIT: Just saw you posted\/ before i submitted mine.
I'm starting to believe its the clutch, I jacked it and put it in gear and the wheels still rolled with no problem......gay
Are you talking about the clutch, clutch master cylinder, or clutch pedal assembly? Kind of confused on your statement.

Last edited by Odysseus Prime; 08-28-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Previously Odyssey

And did you check the battery to make sure it has tight, non corroded connections?

Do you have a coded key? Try another one?

Aftermarket alarm?

Just trying to think of basic things..lol

But I would get a DMM out and start checking voltage drops at the Ignition switch, starter, clutch switch.

Last edited by Odysseus Prime; 08-28-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Car will not start.....help!