VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   car way down on power after storage (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/car-way-down-power-after-storage-454628/)

marlinspike 10-13-2012 07:22 AM

Re: car way down on power after storage

Got it going on all 8 now. Almost perfect now, but still stumbles off the line, which I'm guessing is the fuel filter. I wish that line clamp would hurry up and get here lol.

burnoutboy 10-13-2012 07:38 AM

No bullshit fold it over on itself and ziptie it tight. It won't leak too bad if at all.

-JB- 10-13-2012 08:02 AM

Use some vice grips

marlinspike 10-13-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by burnoutboy (Post 7961676)
No bullshit fold it over on itself and ziptie it tight. It won't leak too bad if at all.

Um...it needs to be clamped before you remove it from the filter. It flows like a river the second you loosen the clamp.

Originally Posted by -JB- (Post 7961696)
Use some vice grips

Somehow I've made it this far without owning a pair, and since the only use I have for vice-grips is to clamp off hoses, I figured I'd buy something purpose built that won't chew up my nice hoses. Plus, vice-grips are now made in China crap. If I were to buy a set of vice-grip type tools, I'd get Grip-Ons (the made in Spain tools that Snap-On rebrands).

marlinspike 10-13-2012 02:43 PM

I'm still going to change the fuel filter on principle, but it looks like the final piece was just a good old fashioned italian tune up. Back to flooring it making the rear end fishtail, wooooooohooooooooo.

marlinspike 10-17-2012 03:00 PM

Hmmm...still not where it once was as far as power is concerned. It's a lot better, and running on all 8, but not where it was before being parked. Replaced the fuel filter, no change. Did notice that my fuel pump is leaking (not at the fitting, but in the middle of it...yeah), so maybe that's why, but I honestly doubt it because of what a slow leak it is. I've poured a bottle of Swepco 503 which is supposed to be a good cleaner for the Bosch CIS injection. At some point I'll see if there is somewhere that loans timing lights and make sure the timing is ok. Once this tank of gas with the cleaner is out of the system I'm going to plug in my wideband O2 and retune, and if that doesn't get me where I need to be, it's off to the dyno I go to figure this out :(

marlinspike 10-18-2012 06:41 AM

I'm going to set fire to the world. This started after replacing the fuel filter, but I guess I hoped that as I drove it a bit it would clear up. It hasn't. Since replacing the fuel filter the car stumbles under load. It revs fine in neutral, but under load with anything more than gentle acceleration and less than full throttle it stumbles. The timing could be a coincidence, but that's when it started. I'm going to set fire to the world.

RandomTask 10-18-2012 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by marlinspike (Post 7966432)
I'm going to set fire to the world. This started after replacing the fuel filter, but I guess I hoped that as I drove it a bit it would clear up. It hasn't. Since replacing the fuel filter the car stumbles under load. It revs fine in neutral, but under load with anything more than gentle acceleration and less than full throttle it stumbles. The timing could be a coincidence, but that's when it started. I'm going to set fire to the world.

Option 1: Any possibility of a vacuum leak?

Option 2: Have you checked all grounds?

Option 3: Is the motor cap and rotor? I had the same issue on the race car - turned out to be the distributor launched an advancement spring.

-JB- 10-18-2012 11:00 AM

Is this a MAF car? If so have you cleaned it? It could be a totally different issue besides fuel. If you've pulled each injector out one at a time and see fuel spray when turning the car, I doubt it would be a faulty injector or fuel related. Also make sure you are getting the correct PSI to the fuel rail.

Clear up the fuel issue up to the rail/injector first. Once you get that out of the way then move onto air. Make sure there is no vacuum leaks, make sure the air flow sensor is clean. You may have a faulty o2 sensor. Does your car throw any type of CEL. Check your compression test as well.

If that all checks out, go onto fire. Make sure you are getting spark. Make sure the ECU is working correctly.

marlinspike 10-18-2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by RandomTask (Post 7966484)
Option 1: Any possibility of a vacuum leak?

Option 2: Have you checked all grounds?

Option 3: Is the motor cap and rotor? I had the same issue on the race car - turned out to be the distributor launched an advancement spring.

Finding a vacuum leak on this car is near impossible, because every single thing is run off vacuum (door locks, HVAC, you name it) and the cams mean the idle would always appear to be a vac leak. I've looked over all the lines and haven't found one though.

It is cap and rotor. I just recently put a new cap and rotor off, but I guess that doesn't mean it didn't shit the bed. I'll pull it off and look.

Originally Posted by -JB- (Post 7966734)
Is this a MAF car? If so have you cleaned it? It could be a totally different issue besides fuel. If you've pulled each injector out one at a time and see fuel spray when turning the car, I doubt it would be a faulty injector or fuel related. Also make sure you are getting the correct PSI to the fuel rail.

Clear up the fuel issue up to the rail/injector first. Once you get that out of the way then move onto air. Make sure there is no vacuum leaks, make sure the air flow sensor is clean. You may have a faulty o2 sensor. Does your car throw any type of CEL. Check your compression test as well.

If that all checks out, go onto fire. Make sure you are getting spark. Make sure the ECU is working correctly.

MAF? Yes, but not in sense you're thinking. It's mechanical, and all is clear.
It doesn't really have an ecu - there is an ignition box, but all it does is tell the coil if the ignition is on or not.
The injectors on this car are either on or off, and they all are on. I suppose it could be that the spray pattern is bad, but I don't really have a good way of checking that.

Once it's cooled down I'm plugging in my wideband and see what I get. Even with the injector cleaner in the tank I'm thinking it should be fairly close to accurate.

There is no O2 sensor and there is no CEL to be lit.