Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

car way down on power after storage

Old 10-05-2012, 02:32 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default car way down on power after storage

My car was parked for 10 months. It's a long story, but because this was unplanned none of the things a person does when storing a car were done. The oil was changed prior to starting, and it ran very poorly and slowly. I drained the tank and put fresh gas in. It got some of the power back, but still runs poorly. The cap and rotor showed some signs of wear, so I've ordered a new one and will be changing the spark plugs and fuel filter, but is there anything else that I should be doing? I can't think off what other than fuel would make.A car lose a significant amount of power.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov
Default Re: car way down on power after storage

Maybe your injectors are taking a shit on you.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:14 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

It's a continuous injection system, which makes the injectors far more resistant to that than any pulse injection system.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all

When I had my injectors cleaned, I was informed to install them within 2 months (or something like that) to keep them from sticking. With your last comment, I dont know how that will apply, but it wouldnt hurt to pull them out and test them.

Edit: What kind of car?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight
Default car way down on power after storage

Sounds like a vw, if it is, make sure your intake piping is sealed good. Make sure the metering plate moves freely.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 PM
ATGATT

1985 Mercedes 380SE with a 560 motor running CIS KJetronic.Injection, so while not a vw power2weight's instincts are good as it's the same system. I definitely forgot to check the metering plate.

Last edited by marlinspike; 10-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

I would still check into that. They have been sitting with the old gas for a good time
Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Maybe running a cleaner in the gas tank to clear gunk in the lines. Like seafoam
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM
ATGATT

Metering plate moves freely. I pulled a plug and wow those things are fouled up. This car always keeps them clean, even when running so rich it can barely stay running, so I'm thinking it was caused by the bad gas. A closer look at the distributor cap shows some of the contact points are very corroded. So, plan of attack

-change fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs
-then put Swepco 503 in the tank (apparently this is what Porsche recommends to clean the CIS injection)

and go from there.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 PM
ATGATT

Ok, so Cylinder 1 is not getting any spark. I have put in a new cap and rotor (it needed them anyway) and new spark plugs. I tried moving the wires around, still no spark to Cylinder 1. If you hold the wire new something metal, it will arc a spark, but the plug doesn't get any color to it like you would expect a plug that is firing to get.

I'm stumped.

Quick Reply: car way down on power after storage