Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

car shimmies hard above 60mph??

Old 08-01-2008, 07:29 AM
I <3 My DSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of
Default car shimmies hard above 60mph??

ok, my fathers DD car (02' Honda Civic dx )has Si rims on them...I gave him those rims and tires when I sold my 94 civic..the tires were practically brand new.I had them on my car and this NEVER happened....I just rebalanced them last night figuring that might have something to do with it...I got all four to balance out and today I call him and to see if it worked and he said it still does it....we suspect it might be tie rods on his car, which he will check today, but anyone else have any suggestions as to anything else it could be? I just find it weird that this didnt do it on my old car, but does it on his...Thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO
Default Re: car shimmies hard above 60mph??

could be bent axles, loose lug nuts, wheel bearings, loose balljoints, anything that connects to the hub.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BONG
could be bent axles, loose lug nuts, wheel bearings, loose balljoints, anything that connects to the hub.
but how could the axles be bent, i mean it didnt do this with the other tires on there?? unless it was pure coincidence that they happened almost the exact same time....also , i thought about the lug nuts....they are definitely tight but i wonder if they arent the right ones for the rims....good input though BONG...thanks...
Old 08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

How's the alignment? camber, caster and toe?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I <3 My DSM

Originally Posted by BentValve
How's the alignment? camber, caster and toe?
it looks to be fine, but havent had it checked.....i guess the way it "shimmies" is it actaully gets rather scary to drive...it feels like if you touch the steering wheel above 60, you will lose control...
Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

That's scary. Did he check a curb bad recently? Might as well look over the control arm and make sure you don't have any torn bushings.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

driven17 has disabled reputation

when u say shimmies do you mean shakes? or like gets caught in the tire lines of other cars and just veers in a new direction?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 AM
I <3 My DSM

Originally Posted by driven17
when u say shimmies do you mean shakes? or like gets caught in the tire lines of other cars and just veers in a new direction?
its pulls like the second one ya said....its almost like . you know how on 264 east those stupid spots on the highway with the lines that pull your car with the line....well its like that except MUCH MUCH worse....

and no, he hasnt curb checked....
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

I'm in for alignment issue.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I <3 My DSM

ill let him know...i guess aside from doin the easy checks on the tie rods and things....he probably should bring it over and have an alignment check done huh... Thanks yall..

Quick Reply: car shimmies hard above 60mph??