Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cam question.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway
Cam question.

Alright this may seem like a stupid question, but help me out here. I am swapping a b20z into my 93 sol. My machinist, who auto x corvairs, swears that I cannot swap an automatic engine into a manual car. He says that the cams and the crank will be different. He also question if the clutch will fit. Obviously, he says that I could use the block. So is this true? I have spent hours researching, and I have never read anything about this. A b20 is a common swap so I though something like this would have been on one of the 100s of threads I have read.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Registered member

slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx
Default Re: Cam question.

Hes an idiot. You just need a manual flywheel. My mustang has an engine out of a grand marquis, which came out of an auto car.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The machinist isn't an idiot, he's just applying ideas about domestic engines from yesteryear to the Japanese engines of the modern era. Not the same thing.

The machinist is correct that there are often different cams in auto and manual engines. That's done because the load and RPM ranges are different depending on the type of transmission, so the cam profiles are different. I don't think Honda does that though, because that makes everything less modular from an assembly standpoint. There are other reasons too but they're not important. I think that's just a domestic engine thing from a long time ago.

No Japanese engine company is stupid enough to use different cranks when a single type of crank could be used for both. Domestic engines are a different story, which is probably why your mechanic is thinking things like that.

Anyway, as far as I know, Honda engines of both transmission types are usually identical.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Registered member

slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx slo-180sx

ford's don't use different cranks. On auto vs manual.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:46 PM
1-877-TURBOKT

AdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud of

Everything will work just fine.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway

Alright, thanks guys! He had me feeling like a total idiot. The funnies part was that after he told me that, I was like, "Oh really? none of the threads or books I've read said anything about that." He merely responded, "well that's b/c every one knows you can't put an automatic engine with a manual car."
Old 10-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by jhholloway
Alright, thanks guys! He had me feeling like a total idiot. The funnies part was that after he told me that, I was like, "Oh really? none of the threads or books I've read said anything about that." He merely responded, "well that's b/c every one knows you can't put an automatic engine with a manual car."
So you just want to take an auto engine, put a manual trans on it, and drop it in, right? Once you take the trans off, it's exactly the same as any other Honda engine.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I am about to rebuild the b20 (it has really low compression, I THINK the piston rings are shot.) and going to pair it with a b18 trany (grs) and drop them both into my del sol.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Racetracks

Well, let 'er rip. No different than any other B-series swap into that car.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Well, let 'er rip. No different than any other B-series swap into that car.
alright thanks bro. I'll keep y'all posted on the prgress.

Quick Reply: Cam question.