Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

calling all honda know its

Old 05-06-2004, 07:03 PM
pimp wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joeve83 has disabled reputation
Question calling all honda know its

hello everyone im new and i gotta question for all the honda gods out there. I have a 1988 honda civic all wheel drive station wagon (ok now stop laughing) it came with a stock d15 motor and 1987 tranny and im wondering which would be the best motor for my car. The b16, b18, or what not. I plan on running a t3t4 turbo at about 8-10 lb of boost and a nitros shot of 30-40 and i want max torque and hp. I also plan on gutting the block and head and building it from the ground up. also any help with cams, lifters, crank, pistons,rings and all things internal. im trying to make a truly unique race/street car and all info is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 07:31 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: calling all honda know its

if your gonna resleeve it and build it to full capacity, get a vtec motor, if you plan on running boost and nitrous your definitely gonna want some strong internals and a absolutely top notch fuel system and engine management, if you resleeve the block my personal suggestion is to stroke the motor, overbore that shit, run an 85+mm piston, your block will be strong enough to handle it if it has been resleeved, you will gain sufficient power off of a larger displacement motor, brand names are really hard to choose, do the research on everything you want to use, then make your choice on each item.......
Old 05-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You're gonna lose the all wheel drive though, because nothing except some D-series engines will bolt up to that tranny. You'll have to convert to a normal drive setup, you should be able to get everything off of any EF hatch, sedan, or CRX. Get parts from an Si and do the rear disc brake setup while you're at it..
Old 05-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Big Dick Playa

King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling

or he could spend some dough and have a new bell housing fabbed to put a b series engine with the d series awd tranny. i've seen it done. just not for a honda so i imagine it could work.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Originally Posted by mark w
or he could spend some dough and have a new bell housing fabbed to put a b series engine with the d series awd tranny. i've seen it done. just not for a honda so i imagine it could work.
not a new bellhousing - an adapter plate. dont think the cost to him would be worth the benefit. better off getting a B series and going front wheel drive...
Old 05-06-2004, 10:05 PM
STi Round I

Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G.

CRV tranny and drive train into a Wagovan!

B20 VTEC Turbo!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Originally Posted by 03Slozuki
CRV tranny and drive train into a Wagovan!

B20 VTEC Turbo!
yeah on the stock sleeves that setup would last all of a week.....
Old 05-07-2004, 11:31 AM
pimp wagon

joeve83 has disabled reputation

thanks for the quick input guys. another question to fabrik8 is there any way to build up a d series to put out like the b series.if not why? and im trying to keep the awd.

Last edited by joeve83; 05-07-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007

Im sure you could, ofcourse the usual, with the same money you put into the sohc you would get more power putting it into a dohc. but another question is will that drivetrain handle the power??
Old 05-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I dont' think those are the beefiest of drivetrains if memory serves..
You could turbo it, but watch out for those drag lauches.. I think that tranny and rear end is notoriously weak, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.. Only one way to find out though, and I'm sure there are a few of those in junkyards to give up their axles and trannies if you need replacements.. I'm thinking that it's gonna be realy hard to contain 8-10 PSI and NOS on top of that from a T3/4 on a B series, that is good punishment for a B series tranny, and you've got a D..
I'm thinking stronger axles are a good start, and cryo-treating the gears in the tranny.
Without knowing the gearing in that tranny, it still might be a dog if it's geared for fuel economy.. There are so many variables.. If you really want to be unique, swap in an AWD drivetrain from another car, like a CRV or Eclipse, etc.. Then you can start with a B20 block and go VTEC and turbo from there. I can think of better and more creative ways to spend money than a EF wagon though..

Quick Reply: calling all honda know its