Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

caliper question

Old 11-13-2004, 02:33 PM
where ma ribbons at?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these parts
Exclamation caliper question

does anyoe know when you need to replace your calipers or symtoms of a broken one from the outside? thanks!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:32 PM
where ma ribbons at?

edtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these partsedtek is infamous around these parts
Default Re: caliper question

up ^ ^ ^
Old 11-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Say somm!!!

NastyNate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edtek
does anyoe know when you need to replace your calipers or symtoms of a broken one from the outside? thanks!
There is no interval on replacement of calipers. The only thing most calipers will do is lock up. If so the car will pull to the left or right, brakes will always sqeak, or fry up very quick.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:57 PM
S-T-F-U

Brycerb Brycerb

i've had a caliper go bad but all it did was not release the roter properly. it would hang up a little. caused the rim to get hot as hell and smell like brakes real bad. no noise but it did cause the stearing wheel to shimmy a little.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Guy

TheAntiCivic has disabled reputation

We had one guy come into the shop once with both fronts locked up. Those things were steamin and glowin red... I think it was some older hyundai, can't remember exactly. But if your car pulls during breaking, doesn't stop breaking when you let off the pedal or the pads wear too quickly, or even if they have an uneven wear when you change 'em you probably need to atleast check out the calipers.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:29 AM
where ma ribbons at?

come to find out most of the brake system is blown!! but its coo tho but yea thanks for everyones input!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:27 PM
TRBO-ESI

iatotofts has disabled reputation

Just a little something I found out, if you replace a caliper it's best to replace both of them.. I replaced one rear caliper and now my e-brake seems to stop the new caliper better than the older one
Old 11-24-2004, 03:36 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

all brake system components, whether they are pads, rotors, calipers, hoses, etc, really should be replaced in pairs.

as for caliper issues....there are several things that can show: pull on braking, rare instances pull when driving, park brake wont work, one wheel wont lock down, etc etc.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

mazdaspeed2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edtek
in order to tell whether a caliper is bad you have to try to compress it.
if it does not compress then it is bad.
also if the caliper is locking up then the rotors would look overheated and
the brakes will be extremely hot.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:40 PM

E36DJ is an unknown quantity at this point

That stuff freaks me out.. if I had a caliper lock up I'd be fucked.

Quick Reply: caliper question